litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Think Of The Children....

Fiona

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/4276061.stm

"A single speed camera in Nottinghamshire has caught almost 76,000 motorists in five years.

The camera, on the A610, has caught almost a third of the speeding drivers in the county and has resulted in £4.2m in fines.

The Specs "time-over-distance" cameras measures how long it takes to pass between two points on Nuthall Road.

Safety officers say accidents and the number of people injured on the road has halved in three years. "

Remember, guys, it's not for the money. :(

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, like the vast majority of keen drivers, think speed cameras are a plague.

Liecester seems to be the speed camera capital of the UK and I have been done a few times for a 2 -3 mph over 40 on dual carriage ways and the like. This just seems crazy to me. I keep my more spirited driving to appropriate roads and don't go hooning about the cities back streets - never understood the point in that.

In actual fact - I'm really not that bothered with paying a fine if I have to - it's the effect that it has on my insurance premium that really kills.

So why the whole "points thing" for minor "offences"?

It makes my blood boil that I can get an SP30 for 2 or 3 mph over a 40 limit. But I bet the vast majority of speed camera flashes are caused at these speeds.

Sure there are those that drive at 70mph through town centers and they should get the book thrown at them, but if I get caught doing 43mph in a 40 on a dual carriage way at 6:00am on a sunday morning, am I really a menace to society that needs to eventually be removed from the roads?

If they want to fine me - fair cop (or unfair cop) but should I be punished with 3 points on my licence for the next 3 - 4 years? Thats just rediculous.

I think a £60 fine is enough of a deterrent (and keeps the cash rolling in), but the "points thing" needs to be reconsidered - If it was I think speed cameras might start to become tolerated?

What do others think - is it the fine or the points that gets you the most?

Dunc

Good points Dunc.

Anyone else noted the discrepancy between "caught almost 76,000 motorists in five years" and "number of people injured on the road has halved in three years"

What do you bet the figures over the five year period don't look good, but there is a natural glitch in the figures that makes the three year figure far more favourable?

Cynical Fiona

Archived