litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Review Of M100 Elan

GCCK

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at Elans at the same time as Elises last year, saw a gorgeous metallic purple coloured SE Turbo for £13,500. The only thing is that I detest the rear end of the car. IMHO it has no style and looks like it belongs on the back of an old Rover estate or something :) If it had been designed with Ferrari style round lights or something I'd definitely be tempted by one...

The Elan was ahead of its time. Created in the Esprit's hayday it looked a little incongruous alongside - a FWD turbo engined car, sort of a hot hatch without the hatch.

If it's modern day equivalent were to be released now - post MX5, MGF, Barchetta, SportKa, it would be right up there with Celica's, TT's etc. Softer than the racy Elise, more useful (boot & hood), with a bigger market. And Proton would want a version for themselves too.

My wife stopped driving the Elise when I mentioned she drove it like a FWD car and it scared her off. Didn't mean to. But that couldn't have happened with an Elan.

Lots of people think so too: 5-figure sums for cars 10+ years old - not bad!

I personally love the M100 Elan and although it was the Lotus that I was always going to buy, what with friends going on about it being a women’s car for having front wheel drive, I gave in and got the Elise :P

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Elise and it has been the best purchase I have ever made, but when ever I see an Elan I do look at them with a little bit of desire in my eyes :)

I think I will have to save up and get two Lotus’, but don’t tell the Mrs :wub:

Disco

M100 is a great car.

Alongside an Elise it does look dated and the initial acceleration isn't as good, with the FWD and extra weight (over 300kg) extra. But above 60mph its a match for any Elise and motorway cruising is so much more relaxed.

But I've had one and I wouldn't have another.

The £13k must have been an S2 - you can pick up decent SE's for as little as £6k.

They have come down in price, when i first started looking at Loti a while back, i was tempted, but they were pricey then... so i ended up buying my ickle 106 as an interim to the Elise :P

They were great fun, a little dated yes, but in the wet they were far more surefooted than a Liz!

General consensus in the Elan fraternity is that the article is about right.

I could go on about the benefits of the Elan ad nauseam but this forum probably wouldn't appreciate it too much.

Those of you that know me know that I'd have an Elise tomorrow...if I could get out of it!

I think GCCK will vouch for the Elan's performance too, if his memory's up to scratch. :-)

Must do a job on Inkberrow soon...

Yep, nothing wrong with the Elan's performance, especially on the Hallaton loop. Memorable stuff! :) The two of us must have made up 2-3 mins on the bunch in front...

Was that '03 or '04, Si? So many runs!

I think it was the very first of the East Mids runs after the inaugural series of West Mids gatherings Graeme. So late summer 03 would be about right.

Wasn't it the morning when we met up at the pub and the gathering had been mentioned on local radio. I seem to remember two or three Radicals and a Noble belting past our RV point which was a large pub car park...just around the corner from someone's gaff IIRC.

That would make it May'03 - Tempus fugit!

Be nice to see some more Elans on the runs - can you do your promo/ endorsement bit on ElanCentral? It's a shame that MLOC is perceived as an Elise site - shouldn't be - but if folks needs are being met elsewhere, then so be it. Do the Elan fraternity see SELOC as an Elise site too?

Generally yes, I think so. We have some SELOC stalwarts who try their damndest to muster some Elan ownership participation...to little avail though.

When I get the car back from Horizon, you will be seeing me again, rest assured. I'll try and fetch a few others out as well.

Actually, if there are any more closet fans of the later (M100) Elans, this is the place to glean knowledge thereof:

http://www.lotuselancentral.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!

I mustn’t turn to the dark side of the force :P

I must continue with my Elise training :wacko: to become a true Jedi :)

Disco

Archived