litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rusty Headlamp Bracket

Norgy

I have an S1, the drivers side headlamp bracket has corroded and needs to be replaced. I called Christopher Neil and they wanted to charge me £180 plus Vat for the pleasure of fixing it.

Considering you can buy the part for 20 quid I will do this myself, does anybody have experience of changing this bracket?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but if they were only quoting £180 - I'll take a stab at the front clam not needing to come off, else it would be much higher quote.

Probably,

wheel off,

inner wheel arch liner off,

remove headlight unit,

remove bracket,

fit new bracket,

the the Haynes manual in reverse bit.

All this headlight talk got me going down to look at mine. The brackets don't look great, but are by no means rusty. However the headlights have about 10mm of rust on the inside around the sidelight. Not bad rust, just like the silver finish has gone. Does anyone know if this'll mean MOT failure? I'm already overdue for the MOT, but I'm holding out till after my 1st Lotus Day at the begining of March and then I'll be over to Horizon for a service and new mot.

Mine both need replacing... they are very corroded inside. They passed the last MOT as they are though and sound far worse than yours!

I'm waiting until i have headlight covers before replacing them though as they'll only do the same again!

Mine both need replacing... they are very corroded inside. They passed the last MOT as they are though and sound far worse than yours!

I'm waiting until i have headlight covers before replacing them though as they'll only do the same again!

Polycarb Headlamp covers don't stop it Scott, mine were buggered like yours, although not hanging off (re McDonalds meet) :(

Finally got them changed on Sunday. Took about 2 hours to work it out and get the lamp lined back up. However it now looks as good as new. Just ordered a set of headlamp covers from elise parts to finish it off.

I am going to replace the passenger side bracket next weekend and document the whole process as I could not find any clear destructions on the interweb.

If anyone wants the document once it is finished just let me know.

Norgy

Archived