litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hello All. Newbie Questions

SpoonZ

Due to the powers that be at work I know have to drive a car that does >40mpg so as not to effect my allowance.

Having been in a 03 WRX for the last year or so its bit of a blow :P anyway decided to buy a diesel shed for work,punto/clio :blush: and an elise for weekend :P

Looking at about 10-13k for the elise. The first question I have is regarding models.

Looking at the standard and the 111s. The price diff seems to be quite high to be honest. I realise the VVC engine is higher BHP but looking at the power graphs needs to be revved harder aswell so I guess 90% of the time you wont be using the extra 25hp that the 111s has over standard.

Would i be better getting a 13k nice standard rather than a slightly higher miler 111s?

Is reliability any better on the VVC motor re HGF?

Ta

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoonz

I promise you'll draw out the factions for both variants!

Since I have neither (Sport135 + a bit more), here's the lowdown:

Standard car has best pick-up, so best for round town and posing. With wide ratio box, is better for motorways too (could use it for work on nice days and damn the expense, although gently driven Elises do 40mpg anyway). Can be tuned more, as VVC gear on 111s has to be junked once you get serious (160bhp+). Lower insurance.

111s has less low-end torque but with close ratio box and much more at top end will be faster on track. Negligible difference on road. Rear spoiler, headlamp covers, drilled discs, more seat padding over std. Better performance car if you don't plan any major mods.

thanks

i plan to do probably 4-6 track days a year and drive the 110 round trip to work on occasion in the summer.

I would never mod to 160+ as i need a certain reliability as well. Might consider getting a standard up to 140 ish but no more.

Why the VVC have to be scrapped? is the non VVC got more tuning options then?

Guess what im really saying is their a "vast" difference? the close-ratio box does sound nice though :-)

VVC is nice. I've had 3 and would have nothing else.

Reliability is unquestioned. ive never had any problems to date.

Best is to drive both and see. CR box is great - really keeps the engine on the boil and is quickfiretastic throughout the whole rev range - low less end torque ?? maybe if you get caught at just below 2k in 2nd or 3rd but once your on song your flying !

There is not a vast difference between ANY of the elise derivatives but im sure there are plenty of owner out there who wished they had outlayed a little more just to get a. b. or c. in the package.

The VVC commanded 2k premium when i originally got one 2 years ago and now they probably demand 1.5k. What you do get is a lot of value for money for your 1.5k (CR Box,wheels,143 engine,X-drilled disks,padded seats,spoiler,wheels,headlamp covers,grille,carbon dash) and an easier proposition to sell on. All IMHO of course.

All of them are nice and some people hate the 111s engine.

Try it out :blush:

cheers people

ill get my diesel shed and then not rush into it, ill look at a few and drive them.

does the VVC wear miles better? seen a nice one but got 60k on :-(

PS Malbon want to sell yours, looks mint :blush:

Spoonz

The VVC mech has to be scapped to use wilder cams etc

With the kit on mine I think its roughly kicking out 160ish without doing anything radical.

You also get slightly harder susp, diffrent wheels, which I think are nicer than standard, and that Jono doent like :blush:

Plus you get a faster 0-60 by about half a sec, and a 0-100 which is quicker by a few sec. (cant remember exact figues, sorry!)

now more confusion

just seen this on autotrader, 3 miles from my house

LOTUS Elise Sport 135 , 2 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Convertible, Petrol, 1999 S Reg , 40,000 miles, £12,495 seems cheap to me

Best have a look TBH!

Have a look at a few before you definatly decide on what you want.  135 is also a V.good varient!

good advice, i plan to take my time.

bit sceptical of "so-called" dealers though, id much rather buy private, more chance of it being looked after i feel.

did you say you wanted to buy mine ??

erm..maybe :blush: (see exige thread !!!)

VVC wears its miles just as well as standard. They are not tuned engines and 143 bhp from a 1.8 is not a lot. Sure they get HGF's like other elises but ownership is about expecting this really (Budget £500 of your outlay as it will happen eventually i guess) - not on me yet - try 4500 oil changes and letting the engine warm ??

Like Ladders says..you get the wheels - which i like - but hate to clean - so i got victorys's and you get a distinct performance advantage after 60mph. i.e 0-60 is milliseconds apart but the 0-100 is 14.4 seconds as opposed to 17 secs std.

Up to 80 mph the 111s is untouchable - 80-100 is long drawn.

Sport135 is the thinking man's ultimate Elise. Best combination of standard, 111s and Sport160 bits with the added exclusivity of a genuine limited edition - only 85 made - in a unique colour.

Sports Seats from S160, Uprated engine but not by too much, Sports Exhaust.

Close ratio box (20mph/1000rpm v 23 in std), Cross drilled discs, headlamp covers and wider rear wheels from 111s.

Driveability of std car without VVC complexity or S160 lumpiness.

They attract a premium, but will hold value in years to come. (But then I'm biased). Seriously though, move fast!

Sport135 is the thinking man's ultimate Elise. Best combination of standard, 111s and Sport160 bits with the added exclusivity of a genuine limited edition - only 85 made - in a unique colour.

Sports Seats from S160, Uprated engine but not by too much, Sports Exhaust.

Close ratio box (20mph/1000rpm v 23 in std), Cross drilled discs, headlamp covers and wider rear wheels from 111s.

Driveability of std car without VVC complexity or S160 lumpiness.

They attract a premium, but will hold value in years to come. (But then I'm biased). Seriously though, move fast!

So the 135 is the standard non VVC motor!! im learning fast here.

malbon, i think you should get an exige, and sell me yours *cough* i can wait :blush:

from dealers site selling the 135

1999 LOTUS Elise Sport 1352 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Convertible, Petrol, 40,000 miles, Metallic aluminium silver, MOT-12-2005. Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Colour coding - Body, Immobiliser, Locking wheel nuts, Metallic paintwork, Radio/CD, Sports seats. this elise 135 is a rare car with 160 bhp factory upgrade . with sports exhaust janspeed manifold.corbea factory sports seats.rear defuser.induction kit.and lots more extras.stunning car inside and out .12 months mot . drives exellent.call for more info

did they do a 160 upgrade on the 135????

Archived