litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wanadoo Broadband (nlc)

halfpenny

I've exhausted all of my technical knowledge so wonder if anyone here can help.

I have the Wanadoo wireless kit. Seems to be a wireless router manufactured by Inventel, with an Inventel USB wireless 802.1g network card.

This all works fine.

I bought a Belkin PCMCIA 802.1g network card (2 laptops).

All it seems to do is tries to aquire an IP address and does nothing.

I've tried re-installing the device driver with no effect.

I've assigned the card a static IP address, with correct subnet and default gateway. Although the card thinks it's connected, I cannot open a webpage or even simply use IE to get onto the router.

Any ideas ?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is the default setting of the router too secure - i.e will only look at the card that came with it.

can you view 'available networks' when you look at the card details through your laptop or is it blank ?

Cheers Malbon - I'll check the security settings on the router.

If I check the properties of the network connection, I see that it is connected to the correct network, and is receiving and sending packets- although I'm not sure from whom (perhaps looping to itself)

I cannot view networks using Windows - it simply tells me that other software is being used to control wireless connections.

Doesnt sound good if you cant even get to the config web page via a web browser!

If you could get that far then I have suggestions below but as you cant even get that far they are no good.

Does your broadband provider only allow registered network MAC addresses onto the network? and thus you need to register the MAC address of your router before it will let you connect? or spoof your MAC address if the router will let you do that.

Cheers guys.

Have checked the MAC addresses in the router, and it is configured for both the card that came with the router (USB) and the Belkin card I bought.

Only other thing I might try is removing the Belkin card from the router, and then re-adding manually.

Funny how this crappy USB thing works a treat though !

They aren't so tight they give you a static IP, single lease are they?

Might be worth trying DHCP to see if you can get an IP assigned at all to the Belkin one - i.e. with the other one powered down.

Getting desperate here!

Archived