litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Architects Among Us.....

simondann111s

I use this:

http://sketchup.com/

At work I use Architectural Desktop. I have Studio VIZ on my machine- but since having SketchUp, I haven't bothered with VIZ. For all the Architects (and designers) here, I would suggest you give it a try. It has a fully-working (non-crippled) demo download.

You can sketch in 3D. It is great for concept development, presentations, etc. Will produce "hand sketched" outputs. Can import CAD models as a starting point.

Regards,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use this:

http://sketchup.com/

At work I use Architectural Desktop. I have Studio VIZ on my machine- but since having SketchUp, I haven't bothered with VIZ. For all the Architects (and designers) here, I would suggest you give it a try. It has a fully-working (non-crippled) demo download.

You can sketch in 3D. It is great for concept development, presentations, etc. Will produce "hand sketched" outputs. Can import CAD models as a starting point.

Regards,

Ian

The only problem I've found with this is the file size. I imported the CAD file for the picture above, cad size is ~2.5Meg, Sketch up size ~25Meg, computer fell over!!!!

Be interested in the result of your research Simon - I'm involved in fitting out offices so sometimes we're designing our own interior layouts and other times just building layouts created by others.

Key to the solution needs to be "in reasonable time and expense" - these walk thru's can become an end in themselves if you're not careful, which is why we've tended to steer clear up till now.

Graeme

Don't suppose that is Orchard Developments office

in Mansfield?? Looks familiar

Glennman

Yeah- it's best used stand-alone,

OR...

When you import just a plan from AutoCAD, and start building your Sketch-Up model on top of the plan.

Regards,

Ian

The only problem I've found with this is the file size. I imported the CAD file for the picture above, cad size is ~2.5Meg, Sketch up size ~25Meg, computer fell over!!!!

Finally managed to get AutoCAD to produce something thats sort of presentable.

Anyone know of an add on package for the standard AutoCAD platform that may improve on this.

Simon

add on pack for rendering from Autocad -

starter for ten.... Viz - good basic render and lots of pug-ins - it's basically 3ds max but links direcly into Acad - oh and sketch up is very good but IMHO is better at beginning stages of projects - the floating point accuracy of ACAD can cause problems with close lines in Sketch up et al... or thats what i've found anyway - I guess it all depends on your ACAD set up...

Glennman

No, it's Tate & Lyle's corporate HQ in London.

wow looks damn similar to offices for Orchard.

As there are alot of Architects on these boards

im sure you guys wouldnt mind helping a fellow

Elise owner out with his Dissertation.

I am need of guys/Gals in the industry to fill out

a questionaire with regard to Green field sites within

city boundaries....Can any of you guys help me...

If so can you reply to my thread in General talk.

This is open to all construction professionals or

anyone that deals with building issues realting to

green field land.i.e Planning etc

TIA

Glennman

Archived