litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Architects Among Us.....

simondann111s

Didn't want to hijack the other thread, but seeing as there are so many among us I just had to ask for advice.

I'm not an architect, but close....(ish) I'm the senior design engineer at The Eliott Group, and spend most of my time designing modular buildings - some on an epic scale! Currently working on a 193 flat building and also our new corporate HQ.

I work with autocad, mainly in 3D. I'm after a software package that provides presentation style rendered images from a AutoCAD 3D model. Also, whats the best way to produce 'Walk throughs' and the best software package?

Many thanks

Simon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wonder if i can be of assistance... dunno if youve seen my site spikeyplanet, but thats all i do, create computer generated perspective images. Guys who i work for at the moment us autoCAD, personally, i cant stand it, i use archiCAD, which i think gives better results, but i digres [sp]

when you say presentation style images, you mean like the ones on my site? - if so ill find out what the guy at work uses with autoCAD, think its accurender, gives similar effects...

spike - touting for work ;)

Be interested in the result of your research Simon - I'm involved in fitting out offices so sometimes we're designing our own interior layouts and other times just building layouts created by others.

Key to the solution needs to be "in reasonable time and expense" - these walk thru's can become an end in themselves if you're not careful, which is why we've tended to steer clear up till now.

post-5-1106605779_thumb.jpg

An intuitive architectual drawing and modelling package that contributes toward the design is the holy grail for me, a lot do one or the other but not both.

We too use AutoCAD at work, I'm learning ADT, however I despise it with a passion, and it is probably one of the least intuitive drawing packages for Architects.

3DS Viz is used for rendering and presentation, and then finished off in Photoshop.

John ;)

An intuitive architectual drawing and modelling package that contributes toward the design is the holy grail for me, a lot do one or the other but not both.

We too use AutoCAD at work, I'm learning ADT, however I despise it with a passion, and it is probably one of the least intuitive drawing packages for Architects.

3DS Viz is used for rendering and presentation, and then finished off in Photoshop.

John ;)

I'll second Viz...

I use 3ds max with a plug in render program - Vray. 3d Viz is basically MAX with a link back to the original .dwg IIRC.

:blink:

iBook ;)

Might be worth a Powerbook though Spikey - keep an eye on the Apple Refurb store on Wednesdays - more Ram, faster processors etc. Though personally i prefer the look of the iBook. Oh eBay os an obvious good place to look aswell.

Any of these 3D programmes for Mac?

We do a fair bit of office dressings and Exhibition stands, and would be good if we had software that could show our ideas!

Cheers

Dave

Ladders...

Do you use a CAD package at the moment? If you;re on Max i guess you might use Vectorworks - if so then i'd recommend Cinema 4D by Maxon - its not as good as Max IMHO but it does have a linking feature to vectorworks files and produces uite good results.

http://www.maxon.net/index_e.html

or alternatively I know of quite a lot of exhibition deisgners who use Form Z for macs... I only used it many years ago and found it quite fussy on internal shots to set up lighting - however, i and the programme have both progressed a lot I would have thought

high end you could look at something like Maya but you are talkign very high end and I've heard it can be a bitch to learn. all have their drawbacks but it depends on how you already draw up info...

wonder if i can be of assistance... dunno if youve seen my site spikeyplanet, but thats all i do, create computer generated perspective images. Guys who i work for at the moment us autoCAD, personally, i cant stand it, i use archiCAD, which i think gives better results, but i digres [sp]

when you say presentation style images, you mean like the ones on my site? - if so ill find out what the guy at work uses with autoCAD, think its accurender, gives similar effects...

spike - touting for work :)

Soike

thats the sort of images I'm after, but I need the ability (& talant) to do them myself.

Anyone got a hooky copy of Viz :)

Archived