litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Broken Boot Release Cable

MarkH

So I just finished fitting a new light stalk & was having a winter interior cleaning session on my S1 Elise when I tugged at the boot release lever & the cable split an inch or two along from the drivers door end.

Q1 - how the hell do I get the boot open now?

Q2 - how do I then fit a new cable?

All the best for the New Year!

Mark

:wacko:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mines just done this. although it just sprained and didnt open the boot when i pulled it again. reach under the drivers rear wheel. Pull away the wheel liner from the inner body work and reach in the gap for the cable. Give this a pull and the boot should open.

Im not sure whats going on with mine but this has happened to me a number of times now. I just keep doing this and it fixes it :wacko:

Cheers Jon - although the cable has completely snapped and I'm left with the plastic handle, a couple of inches of steel & an inch or two of frayed cable in my hand and the rest inside the Elise!

How is the wheel liner held in place - never taken one off before?

Anyone fitted a complete new cable?

Cheers

Mark

To do the quick fix (ie open the boot) you don't need to take the liner off - just pull it away from the bodywork. Its not held by anything that I can see (tho im sure it is somewhere) - excuse my description but it just seems to be sucked to the inner bodywork. use your nails or something like a knife to get a gap in between the liner and the body work and then reach through the gap to get into the rear quarter of the clam (where the other end of the cable should be attached to the boot-pull to open)

Here you go.

Have a read.

http://www.british-cars.co.uk/cgi-bin/gen5

Jon.

Thanks for the info - just found some instructions on SELOC FAQs as well - so another job to be done at the week end (assuming I can get the new cable from Lotus).

Cheers

Mark

Archived