litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Layed Up For A Year?

Crash

I’ve recently decided to take a redundancy package that’s on offer in order to travel for a year. There’s no way I’m getting rid of the Elise, but I’m not sure what to do with it whilst I’m away… no, you can’t borrow it ;-)

Firstly, insurance, I obviously don’t want pay a fortune for insurance when I won’t be driving it, but on the other hand, I’d like to have cover against theft etc. Can you get theft only cover if it’s left in a garage?

Secondly, if it’s just sat in a garage for a year, what sort of problems am I going to encounter when I get back? It will be at my parents so I could get them to start her up once in a while etc, anything else they could do?

Crash

P.S. Like the new site guys - good work!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon

Talk to Esteem about a classic policy. The lower the mileage the cheaper it gets - they may even do a "storage policy" but that's my conjecture.

Holding a policy for the year without making claims also benefits your NCB for the following year. If they're not going to even move it out of the garage, you should consider a SORN from the DVLA.

Alternatively, sell the car and buy another when you return? Cuts out a year's depreciation, tax, MoT, servicing and insurance. Seriously - you should consider it - and besides, S1 S135's are fetching good money at the moment!

:(

Leave it ona trickle charger, declare it SORN to the DVLA and change your insurance policy to "off the road" which provided it is in a garage will cover it against fire and theft only - so make sure no-one drives it!

I aggree with Graeme. Sell the car and put the money in an ISA etc. You will not suffer from depreciation, insurance costs, storage problems etc, then buy another when you return. It'll be cheaper and you'll have more cash. You'll have no problems picking up another Elise next year.

Thanks for all the comments. I know it probably makes financial sense to sell it, but I don't think I could. I've shed so much blood sweat and tears making it "mine", anything else just wouldn't feel right.

I think I'll investigate these long term storage facilites a bit, I didn't know they existed!

Thanks again!

Crash

Archived