litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Removable Wheel

Trev Foster

Thinking about getting a removable steering wheel for a little extra piece of mind. Just wondered if any of you had already gone this route and if so what are the best options for cost etc??? I don't really want to change the wheel as I am quite happy with the original. So could anyone tell me if this is possible or if not what the best replacement would be. Your advice would be much appreciated. :P

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very complicated to make the original wheel removeable - there was a huge discussion about it on SELOC a while back.... mainly because of the way that the std wheel mounts to the car.

I fitted a Momo Team and Eliseparts removeable kit - all in cost about £250. Its a big improvement over the std wheel (IMO) feels nicer, less slippy etc Also loks far cooler :P

1.jpg

I was chatting to someone at brunty who recalled a story where there quick release wheel quick released whilst driving!!!!! Definately inportant to get it fitted properly me thinks.

Ally

I was chatting to someone at brunty who recalled a story where there quick release wheel quick released whilst driving!!!!! Definately inportant to get it fitted properly me thinks.

Ally

This depends on how it came off - I've never heard of the steering wheel coming off the bits that it is meant to be permanently attached to (i.e. the bits you'd pay someone else to fit), merely that people haven't latched the steering wheel quick disconnect half onto the steering column quick disconnect half when they got in.

Personally, I don't like them. They invariably add play into the column and at best they will stay on, at worst you will make an error (not putting it on properly) and it will come off. Unless you need one to help get in and out, or want the security whilst not in the car of being able to remove it, I wouldn't bother. I am now prepared for the backlash..... :P

Right then - can anyone give me an excuse to have a mini-rant about ally tat (part. incl. gear gates) and the S1 filler cap?

My car came with a gear gate, it is shiny and says lotus on it!

The gear stick kinda doesnt fit in the gates very well and its function is decorative only! And to make the car weigh more!

Thats should be enough Chorlton?

Ps. I kinda like it, in a dont know any different kinda way....

Chorlton 1, as i remember the conversation it was the quick release mech that came unlocked! but he had been driving it for a while before it came loose. You would have thought if it had been clipped on wrongly it would have come off straight away.

That is pretty scary - as I say, I haven't heard that happen before.

As for gear gates - Good Good and Lord Above !! ;) The question (for the day) is "Are mid-engined Ferrari cockpit gear gates also decorative or are they functional?". I have no idea, but given the gear linkage play etc that would happen post-gate if it were functional, I can only imagine they are decorative.

I have alloy window winders, but if someone offered to sell some plastic ones in good condition for a couple of £ +P&P I'd happilly take them of their hands (although I'd keep my ally ones just in case the official ones fall apart!)

I was going to build my Elise up to be a 'stealth car' over the next few years - close ratio box with LSD, 160->190bhp, sports or S2 slightly lowered suspension etc, but otherwise completely std looking. Well that was the plan until the bulk buy Victory wheels posting on SELOC. DAMN THOSE GOOD OFFERS !!! :)

I have alloy window winders, but if someone offered to sell some plastic ones in good condition for a couple of £ +P&P I'd happilly take them of their hands (although I'd keep my ally ones just in case the official ones fall apart!)

I'm sure your local scrappie would happily sell you some winders from one of their scrapped metros!

And Trev, eliseparts.com in their used spares section have this listed;

1 steering wheel (standard) £30

Seen plastic window winders on eBay.

Also have a wheel if you want one Inferno....

As for the removeable one, if the wheel can be removed solely with the QR mech then it is not road legal... Emma's car has one like this, and technically won't pass an MOT (though it apparantly has) whereas mine has a lockable bolt that goes into place and with that in, it is impossible to remove the wheel by catching the QR mech.

Archived