litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Radiator Fan Problem

jtkrvc

I've had an intermittent problem with the radiator fan switching on unnecessarily at normal or even low engine temperatures (when the engine is warming up from cold). I took it into Storm in Leicester to get it checked out and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. At the time the battery was on its way out and after I changed it the radiator problem disappeared.

Recently the problem has recurred. The fan is running almost as soon as the engine is warm enought to register a temperature at all.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would also be interested to know how other members rate Storm.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.. this is a thermostat problem ... In fairness to STORM their engineers will have checked this for continuity which could have resulting in the thermostat showing a normal response however they may not have checked it through a temperature range.

Now I'm new to this LOTUS fixing game, only got involved through my son having said that it’s kinda of growing on me.........

If it was my motor I would remove the stat and check it for continuity through a temperature range by placing it in some warm water adding a little more hot until the thermostat continuity is made or not made as the case may be. Use a fluke if you have one but if your not very electrically minded you can check for continuity using a simple torch battery and lamp.

Having said that I guess a stat will be no more that a few pounds therefore replace it anyway.

While I'm on here as anyone got a wiring diagram for an Elise series 1 if you have please email it to me if you don’t mind to.......... or tell me is their a web site that I can get on to give me such technical data?

Any help or advice to .... [email protected]

Elec., mech. eng. by trade .... the more I can learn about these damn cars the better.... so that I can repay you guys in the months to come for the help and support you gave me.

Keep me posted on the thermostat problem.

Regards,

David Nicholas. :(

I'd also say that if your Stack is showing correct temperatures the blue sender is ok, and it does sound like a thermostat problem in agreement with the other guys ...

BUT ... try pulling off the brown sensor plug a few times just to check the contacts are clean. If the contacts are not clean then the fan will kick in, as the system is designed to detect the lack of signal from the brown sensor.

Still sounds thermo though

Keep us posted

;)

I ate Nick Whales pig ! :)

I was going to change the thermostat myself but have since decided to get that problem and a few other little problems sorted out at Horizon. I'm taking it in on Thursday so I'll let you know what the diagnosis is shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its taken a while to sort it out because I've had several other things done as well which has meant more than one visit to Horizon. At first they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They checked the thermostat thoroughly. In the end the sensor was changed and its functioned normally since then.

Archived