litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise Specific Road/track Insurance - At Last

Mr G

I was looking into insurance for Elises for road and track day use. I am posting the following after I had a meeting and good discussion with one Insurance Broker - Egger Lawson/Competition Car Insurance - to see what they had that was specific to my own requirements. Doubtless the anons will come on here and say 'mine's better' -fair enough and good luck to you, but I have been unable to find what I have been after until now.

I have become increasingly concerned that the general lack of knowledge from insurers about the car and lack of clarity regarding track days wasn't really satisfactory - so I've met up with Richard Egger at the above today and he has outlined an Elise specific policy that would be right for me and I suspect, right for a lot of people on this BBS.

Here's the ins and outs of it.

GENERAL COVER

This is comparable with any standard comprehensive cover, is unlimited road mileage with discounts for limited mileage and offers decent discounts for anyone who has been on a road driving tuition day - e.g. Cadence. The cover is also targeted more at those who have an Elise as a second 'leisure' car that is preferably garaged.

Preferably over 30 - nobody under 25 and possibly 25-29 year olds through they would be subject to a 'close look'

TRACK DAYS

Four free as part of the policy - and extra ones at a basic price of £50 each. Documentation specific to that track day would be supplied before the track day - so no ambiguity about whether you are covered or not. Interestingly, this extra day premium may alter according to which track day organiser is involved. I think this is great as it favours the good quality organisers who enforce the rules and should help get rid of those that don't do it by the book. Excess is £1000 or 10% for trackdays, Cover costs £50 for the first £10000 and £5.00 for each £1000 after this. So a £12,000 car costs £60 and has an excess of £1200) It's quite a high excess, but has been designed to stop people claiming for stone chip damage for example (true) when they spin off into the gravel.

MODIFICATIONS

The company is not at all bothered about modifications. It grades cars on their horsepower level. It therefore pays to be accurate about it - not wildly overestimating it or underestimating it (both will attract suspicion!!). Dyno readouts not required. So you can have your DVA head, Janspeed head, trick zorst etc etc. The one thing that is not encouraged are full slicks – this will incur a much heavier track day premium. Tyres like Yoko AOs and some of the other recognised 'track day' covers or standard road tyres would be fine, just not slicks.

PRICE

A basic comparative quote for my own requirements suggested a figure £100 less than what I am paying for Liverpool and Victoria cover (£750 ish IIRC) - so for similar money I'll get six free track days. L and V are withdrawing track day cover as are many insurers so it's a no brainer from that perspective.

PERSONAL INJURY

Another point raised was that how many of us know whether our life assurance companies include cover for track days should the worst happen? I certainly hadn't thought about it, but I do recall 'the dangerous sports and pastimes' question on my last life assurance questionnaire a few years ago, which I presume would exclude payouts if I copped it on track.

Also, if you clarify it with your insurers and they say 'no' where does that leave you? Anyway, it's £20 per track day for £75,000 coverage and upwards from there according to your needs and again, would be outlined clearly in your paperwork. I'll be going for that when I get the policy.

A PLUG FOR EGGER LAWSON?

Yes, and I'll tell you why. I've been looking into this for over a year and Richard Egger was THE ONLY insurer who replied to me with my request to discuss a specific Elise policy from all those I could find on this BBS mentioned previously. So any business he gets is because he bothered to respond, set up a meeting with me and discuss this. In addition, he knows ALL of the track day organisers, knows the rules of a track day, and has more than 30 years experience as a race/rally driver, as well as insurance. That means you won't get the standard 'what's a track day?' or 'You are covered but you sir are not' or 'What's a Sport 160?' questions. This policy is not something Richard and I hammered out, and I won't be getting anything in return for promoting it, but the fact is that Elise insurance is increasingly becoming a grey area (mods, track days etc etc) and I want my insurance to be with someone who knows the Elise, the Elise driver and the Elise aftermarket/track day scene.

Definitely relevant Elise material I think, and deffo worth a call if you see this policy potentially matching your own requirements.

[email protected]

or 0115 941 5255

Oh - and they now do specific policies for most other track day car types too

Cheers

Rich

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived