litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Woooo! Middle Pedal

botchyballs

hello to anyone who can give me some advice on my brakes on my first lotus car i have owned

the brakes are not very good at all ,the car has had green stuff pads put on it but still not very clever.

As a new member can anyone please give me some advice on a realistic upgrade and is this a common problem with the elan?

thanks for any advice

:unsure:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be your servo. When it's safe. Drive down a hill with the engine off (but the ignition on!!!!!!) and out of gear and see if its any better or worse, it should be worse without the engine running if the servo is OK. Not to big a hill though!! :unsure:

Have they been bled recently?? Is the pedal spongy? Can you get it to the floor!

Easy way to check if your servo is working is to depress the brake peddle slightly with the engine turned off (about a centimeter or so), then whilst holding it depressed, start the engine. If the servo is sucking propperly, the peddle should be pulled down a bit further by the engine.

To check for vacuum simply remove the hose from where it goes into the servo, run the engine and place your hand over the end. Recommend you don't do what I did and wear latex gloves as these tend to get sucked up the pipe.

Do recommend that you do a brake bleed anyway, just in case, laborious job but often worth it.

Archived