litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Radio Fitting Instructions

Kris H

Radio fitting and glass mounted aeriels

I've recently bought a DAB/MP3 unit to replace the crappy clarion thing which came with the car and it has an external glass mounted aeriel. Anyone else fitted one of these? If so, where is the best place for the aeriel since it appears that it will go pretty much anywhere. Anyone fitted one and found that there's lots of interference in a particular place?

Also really struggling to find any straightforward instructions for fitting or even removing the old system on an S2 111s - plenty of S1 instructions about. Anyone point me in the right direction. The FAQ on seloc is S1 only as far as I can tell so even removing the old system is proving a total mystery.

Any advice welcome.

Kristian :drive:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about the aerial, at a guess away from the engine bay :drive: some how!!

As for the head unit there should be a slot on either side that you insert a key and it depresses a spring loaded tab, the unit should pull out easily.

However if you haven't got the key it might be easier nipping down to one of those in car entertainment places. They're normally pretty helpfull

and they might tell you where to shove your aerial ( so to speak!! ).

HTH

jez

Cheers Jez and Scott - I thought it would be dead straightforward but the way it fits, two thin screw drivers aren't going to work as I thought. There is a sort of flexi blue plastic spatula type thing which has come with the kit - that could be it I suppose. There is no other obvious purpose for it from the instructions.

Am trying to get hold of an S2 service manual since I think I need to take the dash out to wire in the aeriel and can't see an obvious way of doing this - it's very different to the S1. If I can do this I can fit the glass mount aeriel on the px side at the edge of the windscreen flush to the sides. The instructions also say that the new aeriel needs to be at least 900mm away from the original one, and 900mm is a lot on an elise!

Scott - do you have the key thing required? Did you have to go through this when doing yours? I've seen the S1 instructions and it looks reasonably straightforward but doesn't really help with the S2 unfortunately. Am going to go and investigate further...

Yes, clarion single slot face off thingy.

Am thinking now if may be wise to fit an aux input cable at the same time which will just run down the back so I can directly connect my iPod and after looking at the aeriel, I think it will go on the rear screen bottom (ish) left OK and just point backwards at a similar angle to the original boot mounted one. Since the original will be disconnected I'm not too worried about this 900mm thing.

Hopefully if I can get the service manual it might be a goer - defo need to get in through the top of the dash as well, and really can't see how to do that since the front fittings are different on the S2 111s. Might give you a shout Scott if that's OK. Have mailed horizon as well since I need an A service doing and if they can do it for not much, then it may save the aggro...

Good delayed forward thinking though...should have ordered it from car audio direct at the same time for the princely sum of six new English pounds...but didn't of course and therefore may have to pay postage again which is several quid more....doh!

Don't they do those combined DAB/normal aerials that look like a whip aerial with a cable twisted around it.

It's fitted in the place where your existing aerial goes and then its fed to a splitter and onto your head unit.

You have to replace your old co-ax cable with a combined one and i think it runs between the seats on an S2!

Then you can have DAB & FM coverage ( well almost!)

Hello Jez - yes, that was an option but wanted to keep the flexibility to very easily put the car back to standard and the glass mounted one looked easiest. Also means I don't have to stick it straight above the spark plugs again...In checking though it will fit pretty comfortably at the bottom left of the rear screen. It is a combined aeriel though - FM/AM/DAB.

Archived