litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Killing Tyres + Oil Dilemma

Sol

Well, its almost MOT time and the P-Zeros have seen better days. I fear they are probably illegally worn(or close). Time for some T1-Rs methinks. Also, its time to get it serviced (A + C-cambelt).

Anyhows, I figured that if I have to get new boots, Im going to (ab)use the ones on there to get the most out of them. So, my first question is, what is the cheapest/most enjoyable way to do this? I had to pull out of the recent Bedford trackday because of the looming car costs(incl going on holiday + insurance renewal soon). Have thought of 1st Lotus day, which always does the trick, and is constructive.(~£150). Any more thoughts?

Also, when I spoke with Wendy from a place you guys (esp Scott) might not have heard of (psst-Horizon) :) , she mentioned the oil they use in servicing(not Mobil 1). I know Lotus are recommending Mobil 1 and without wanting to get into the great oil debate too geekily, what have people here done? I was planning to take my own oil, but really not sure it will make any difference at all.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do an airfield day (Elvington or Brunty) or a 1st Lotus day... they should sort the tyres... be warened that you don't want to risk driving back from somewhere on illegal tyres though.

As for the oil, the stuff Horizon use is bloody good.... Sinclaires use Magnatec etc so it doesn't matter, its only a K Series engine, that uses 10w40 oil. There is a huge thread on SELOC about Oil.. the stuff Horizon use got the thumbs up from the guy who seems to know what he is on about.

Fiona, I think I really need to get the service/ mot done before that date otherwise Id be well up for that. 1st lotus activity day sounds like it could be what Im looking for!! And thanks Scott, will look into an airfield day - after Brunty, I realise that it would be perfect for the "Job"..

Archived