litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

'ring Visit Report.

Castrol

Hi all,

I mentioned that I would write a little bit about the trip we did to the 'Ring last weekend so here it is. Apologies in advance but I got a bit carried away and so it is a long read!

Well we got back safe and sound from the 'Ring last night after covering 1250 miles and having a great time. Sailed from Dover to Dunkerque (GBP 73) and decided to take a relaxed drive across and stop in Liege for the night having never been there. It turned out to be a great city with lots of decent places to eat and drink and loads of ice cream shops! Stopped at the Campanile but won't bother again as it was pretty expensive and only ok (EUR 87 for a double room including 2 breakfasts).

Decided to pop over to Spa Francorchampa on the way to the 'Ring so headed in that direction, only to get caught in a massive traffic jam heading there so decided to give this a miss and head into Germany. As the weekend wasnt to be all car orientated we wanted to visit Burg Eltz on the way (well sort of) to the 'Ring.

Burg Eltz is a stereotypical Gothic fairytale castle and is pretty impressive. The tour isn't really worth it as you only see around 5 rooms but for the parking charge you can spend all day walking in the grounds and exploring which we would have done more of if we had the time.

Anyway it was time to head for the B&B we had booked. 8km from the 'Ring entrance, 4km from Adenau and in a very quiet little village. Dropped our bags off and we headed back for our first proper view of the 'Ring....and it had just closed for the day due to a car vs. Bike incident. Anyway the atmosphere and the sheer range of cars was amazing, from normal family saloons to race prepped GT3s via sleeper Opel Kadetts with 2.0 Vauxhall XE red top conversions! Eventually went back to the B&B and sat drinking beer with a load of bikers and the owner.

Sunday dawned sunny and clear so we ate a fantastic breakfast and headed to the 'Ring and was awestruck just watching the cars and bikes head out onto the circuit. I have to admit to being a little apprehensive about going out on the circuit, I've read the various posts on various websites and it can sound horrendous. Anyway Lorraine agreed to come along and keep an extra pair of eyes on the mirrors and stop me from being mad so we went for it and got a 4 lap ticket and headed out.

The first thing you think is "I'm actually driving on the 'Ring" once this goes through your mind you get to the first corner sequence and all you can think about it trying to get your car around a lap and stay on the black stuff whilst avoiding all the bikes and cars that keep appearing behind you at seemingly impossible speeds. Some of the GT3 RS' that came past were mind blowing in both speed and sound. Anyway the track is amazing with far more changes in height than I thought there would be and the Karussel has to be driven into! After 2 laps we came in and we went to watch from some of the viewing areas and walked some of the circuit to get some pictures (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35238&l=1bfc3&id=708342582 ) and take in some more of the atmosphere.

After this we decided to go to the Hohe Acht a 747m hill that looks out over the mountain range where the 'Ring is situated and looks down on the castle of Nurburg, so we slogged to the top of this and took in the view and decided to head back for out last 2 laps. Once out again I was held up in most of the corners by some guy on a bike, yes you were quick on the straight but naff at corners for the 1st lap then I came in to try and give me some space and we went out for the last time. Had a good run for the first few corners then for the remainder of the lap there was 3 yellow flag areas and lots of traffic.

Once back off the track we bought our Ring stickers and within 15 minutes of this the track was closed again due to an accident and remained closed for the rest of the session. We decided to take a trip out and visited Koblenz and the Deutches Eck (Where the Rhine and Mosel join up) and then a gentle drive back to the B&B, no beer tonight as we were both knackered!

Checked out the next morning where the bill was a fantastic EUR 98 for a double room for 2 nights including breakfast and they wouldn't accept anything for the beer we had drunk. B&B was the Pension Hiberath, www.pension-hilberath.de and I can highly recommend it.

Headed back to Dunkerque via Spa Francorchamps and had a good run back but even though we still had time to make the 16.00 ferry they still bounced us to the 18.00 as they claimed we wouldn't get through Passport control on time, oh well got the the UK at 20.00 but there was a problem with the ferry and they couldn't get us off due to the angle of the ramps so sat for another 40mins whilst this was sorted. Eventually got home at 23.30, very tired but happy!

In summary, just get over there and do it at your own pace, don't try to race or keep up with any particular cars, just watch you mirrors and drive your own lap at your own pace. I would also avoid a Bank Holiday in future as well in order to make it a bit quieter. The Elise was great,never missed a beat and handled very well. I'll probably be heading back out there later this year but taking the Caterham.

If you've stuck with it this far then thanks!

Regards,

Matt.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon Matt

Quietly envious, sounds as if you had a lot of fun. I would love to do the same, the long drive IMO is no problem but I'm not sure I would manage the Ring itself, do they do laps for drivers with training wheels and L plates ?

Next time you go you say you are taking the 7, I'm dubious that it will make it, so if you want to, I will take the relic off your hands :)

Regards to your lady.

Howard

Howard,

We did have a great time and really enjoyed it. The drive over was fine, glad we broke it up on the way though to make it more of a holiday. As regards the 7 I reckon it may just make it there and around the track if I treat it right :) . I'll let you know when we are planning a return so you can join us and give it a try. As long as you are sensible, watch your mirrors and are prepared for anything (!) then you would be fine. Same goes for the 'Ring too B) . Lorraine says Hi.

Matrees,

We got the Friday 10.00am ferry to Dunkerque and returned on the Monday 18.00 ferry, so all in all 4 days so it was pretty hectic. The Friday and Monday was almost totally travelling though, but thats part of the adventure!

Regards,

Matt.

Archived