litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mobile Phones

Kris H

Anyone know loads of useful things about mobiles? I need to replace mine since I'm on orange and the coverage where I live is cack on that network but fine on the others - some type of black spot apparently.

It must have bluetooth and would prefer if it had a camera - have been looking at nokia 6230 (favourite at teh mo) or 7610 or 6600, or sony ericsson P900. Ideally not too house brick ish and definitely not pay as you go.

Any ideas or comments?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and sister have the Nokia 6230. Cracking phone, can play MP3's (if you get a Bluetooth car kit installed, you can play MP3's from your phone through your car stereo) :D it has a video camera (okish quality given what it is, still camera etc.. great phone, easy to use, only little annoyance is the bit in the middle for navigating is a touch sensitive and you can get a bit lost when it heads off all over the place.

If you are leaving Orange, the Sony Ericsson T630 is also very good.

Personal fave is the 6230 though.

P900 is ok, does shit loads but may be a bit of overkill?

Cheers - that helps - the P900 does loads of stuff that my PDA already does but since I've finally managed to get my PDA to hot sync with my laptop as well as my desk top, I thought it was a bit unnecessary. Also if I go to O2, which seems to have the best coverage over here, it will be about £30 or so, whereas the P900 is £200.

Presuming that the 6230 has that key pad locking function as usual?

Yup, can "auto lock" after a preset amount of time if you want... a handy feature.

If you already have a PDA, then the P900 is a major waste of time. I sold my PDA recently and considered one.

Its free from the link if you wish to go with them - personally i would go with the Carphone Warehouse or O2 Retail - both of whom will match other deals, but seem to have better support when you need it. (from experience)

Cheers - that could be useful as I was going to go to carphone warehouse and if they'll price match then will still do - just have to fanny around getting my number transferred since I need it for business and can't be doing with contacting everyone to advise of a change.

Just going to wait and see if anyone else comes along and says it's shocking though... :D

:D

Porting number... phone up orange ask them for your "PAC" they give you (normally over phone) a long number... you walk into Carphone Warehouse with it, they give you phone and temp number, you hvae 2 phones and numbers for a while then after 30 days usually, number moves over and off you go :blink:

I have a P900 and its the dogs nads :D in fact I know four other people who have also bought them after using mine!

If you already have a PDA then I can see why you wouldnt want the extra features, much nicer to carry one device around IMHO though than a phone and a PDA. New Sony P910 is just out but will be a few weeks before we see it on the networks I think.

Personally I'm going to wait until the end of the year for maybe the P1000. Oh BTW did I mention that I got my P900 for free :blink: was a scam on last year and I managed to get in before they noticed what was going on :D

The main reason for me keeping my pda rather than getting it all combined (I was looking at an XDA II as well) was that I already have a full sat nav set up on my pda so it seemed a bit of a waste.

Presumably Mark can post on here etc with the P900. What's the connection like, and does it cost a fortune to use the data side of it? Mark - are you going to be at Brunty?

I reckon that by next year my PDA will be obsolete anyway so that may be the time to go for the P1000 or whatever else it is by then, or maybe an XDA III if there is such a thing in twelve months.

Think I'm in danger of having a serious stack of old knackered phones kicking about by then though...

Sat nav stuff is a specific package for my PDA though, plus I have a series of other things on my PDA which I don't want the hassle of replacing just yet which is why I ruled the XDA out. Cheaper just to get a phone at the mo I reckon.

Aye should be at Brunty although maybe not in the Exige.

Data traffic is very expensive at the moment, I dont think that mobile working can really take off until the prices come down. No problems with browsing and posting on here with it as it uses the Opera web browser.

Sounds like it may be worth you just getting a phone this time and looking again next time at the PDA combos :D

Think I'm coming to the same conclusion. Trouble is with what I've got that all my free minutes are off peak, which is usually when I'm at home, and because there's no reception I can't use them. Handy that then...

Looking like Nokia 6230 is the way to go. :D

Good call on 6230 - can echo Scott's opppinion as I got one, the g/f left orange after 7 years to get one after using it. Very classy design with lots of good features.

Archived