litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Toyo T1s

Steve P

Wow. I've just had a pair of Toyos put on the rear of my S1 Elise, replacing P0s, but leaving the P0s on the front. And now its scary as hell to drive. I'd heard about the sidewall flex so have put the pressures up to 26 PSI, which made quite an improvement, but I still don't like it.

If I get Toyos on the front will this improve (I know thats bound to be yes) but by how much - do they really behave that differently? With the P0s I always felt like the car would just squat down and turn, especially when accelerating out of a corner, whereas now it initially changes direction quicker, but feels like the back is stepping out.

Most people seem to give Toyos good reviews so do I just need to get used to it, maybe up the pressures some more?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pressure is about right, maybe try 27.

They do take a while to settle down, but the sidewall flex is something you get used too, eventually you will learn to go with it and it is actually the car telling you that it is working hard, they have loads of grip and if they let go are not too harsh.

I would recommend getting Toyo on the front, purely for the reasons of keeping them all the same... made a big difference on my car though as i ran with your current combo for a few months and when i did change it was a noteable improvement.

Glad to hear I'm not the first to run this combo. Maybe I just need to trust them a bit more, but even in a straight line at speed it moves around more.

First time I've driven a car where you can feel the difference in tyres. My Fiesta never seemed to care..... :drive:

Guess I'd better get myself an accurate tyre pressure gauge too

Deffo get a pressure guage and I cannot recommend getting matching tyres all round enough...

Its a bit like taking Vicki Butler Henderson on a date to Pizza Hut... not quite the complete and perfect package :drive:

I have literally just had the same dilemma. I ended up putting Toyos on the front too. In my humble opinion it does make a lot of difference in the dry.

I found i was getting all sorts of weird understear issues with P0's on the front and toyos rear. This seems to have completely resolved since i replaced them. I think if you are going to put your car on the track much this summer Toyos all round is a good option :D

My P0's still had quite a lot of tread left and i got a pretty good price for them (cheers Ian). All in it cost me £70 to replace the fronts. Money well spent! :clap:

Oh bum!! I got my car back from Horizon last night with just this combination, of Toyos on the back, original P0s on the front! Only done 2 miles around the block so haven't had chance to feel the difference yet. Mind you, Mike managed to drive it all the way over to our house without stuffing it which I thought might be a good sign.....I'll be trying them out with great interest! :D

IMO - be really careful for the first few hundred miles in the Toyos. I've had 2 sets on the back now and each time, for the first few hundred miles, they have felt like they were made of grease.

It could be the mould release oil coming off the tyres, the rubber "settling down" (???) or simply getting used to them but they certainly get better.

HTH

STeve :D

No-one has mentioned geo yet. Best to check that the tyres and geometry are working together. Besides, even with fresh tyres of the same sort you'd notice a difference compared to worn tyres.

Quite correct Graeme. When Mike from Horizon arrived with my car with the Toyo/Pirelli mix, he said it would probably benefit from a geo as it was tending to tramline a little.

We also noticed that the blocks in the Toyo's tread pattern were quite soft - you could move them around with your finger! Brand new tyres will always move around on the road more than worn ones, of course, with deeper grooves/taller blocks.

I run Goodyear GSD3's on the front of my Esprit and T1S's on the rear. I must say that I am very very impressed with the Toyo's to the degree that I'm gonna take off the GY's and replace them with the Toyo's on the front too after only 1,000 miles or so. The Goodyears I feel are a little too hard a compound and don't give the 'grippy' feel and confidence I am after.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived