litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Help Needed

tigger

Does anyone know a "good" (for that I mean familiar with Lotuses) mechanic in or around Nottingham? I've got an '98 Elise that needs an MoT but - wouldn't you know it - the headlamps are both shot and I think I need the front clamshell off to redo the light mountings.

If its got to be a main dealer thing - which one is best - Storm or Peter Smith?

TIA

Rich

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God! Neither!

I'd probably go to Nick Whales in Birmingham or Horizon, which is Birm way again.

Sure someone will be along to give you the details! or I think they should be in the links page on this site?

Dave

I'm pretty sure you can get at the headlamps without taking the clam off. Think you need to undo a few screws that hold in place the trim under the wheel arch, you should then be able to pull back the trim to get access to the rear of the headlamps. IIRC it's easier with the wheel removed.

I bet it's the sh*tty little headlamp holders (that look like they're made out of lego) that have broken. If so they're only a few ££ each and dead easy to change.

Cheers,

Spurred on by your comments I thought I'd go and have a look for myself. I reckon I can do this without the clamshell coming off. The n/s headlamp needs replacing - big stone chip in it. No worries, I've got a replacement headlamp. The o/s lamp that looks like its been pushed in. [mental note - never trust anyone to put an elise on a transporter without adult supervision...]

You're right, its that semicircular thing with three bolts that has come away from the body complete with the lamp. Eliseparts have the replacement part, so it looks like me, a trolley jack and skinned knuckles this weekend.

Two more questions

1) do you araldite the surround in, or what do you use?

2) How do you move the arch liner - from the edge of the wheel arch in, or from the inside out?

Friday is the 6th anniversary of me driving it home from the dealers, and the first time in 6 years I've had to do ANYTHING to the thing apart from fitting the stereo and replacing the front numberplate.....;-)

Rich

Congrats on the 6 year record, you must be one of the rare few.

I pulled the liner from inside out and wedged it open with something, can't remember exactly what.

I'm a little embarrased to admit it but I used "repair metal for good". Seems to work for just about anything, a bit like araldite!!

Tigger, for general info, you'll find if you look back though lots of the posts on here that basically in terms of main dealers virtually everyone rates Nick Whale as pretty much the best in the Midlands, and the other two you mentioned often don't get a good press for things lotus. If you're not worried about main dealer stamps then horizon motorport seem to be both cheap and very good (as Scott will probably tell you many many times), although it sounds like you've pretty much got this one sorted now.

And welcome, by the way.

Kristian :D

Indeed Horizon get the nod as a speciailist from me... Nick Whale if you want dealer stamps.

This is quite topical actually as both my headlights have rusty reflectors so probaby need replacing at some stage... where do you get the lamp from????

Scott, I got the headlamp from Christopher Neil a year ago - it was £57-odd but still cheaper than the £120 than my last dealer quoted. I think eliseparts do one now thats cheaper, IIRC

Inferno, they'll be getting my business...

Thanks for all the help.

Foley, it is so much easier with the wheels off...

I've owned Lotuses for over 10 years now, and they never cease to amaze me. Both headlamps and mounts out - both mounts look like paper doileys - one of them was in three pieces! What were they thinking, making this bit out of steel?!!

And what on earth was I thinking of doing this on a bank holiday weekend? :/ Looks like it'll be off the road for a wee bit longer than I wanted.....

Archived