litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Competition Head Gasket

Simon

:tup: Hi.

I am thinking about fitting a Competition Head Gasket from Elise Parts! Has any one tried one or got any suggestions?

This is carrying on from my original email on blown head gasket.

(Unfortunatly I have had to open a new account, due to Email validation problems)

Nomis

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

simon,

sorry for taking so long to reply to the msg u sent me...

dunno about the comp. head gasket, and as for having mine 'skimmed'.. i have no idea, mine was more of a preventative messure to prevent a leak from progressing... were as i believe yours is a complete failure

spike

i have got the comp head gasket fitted from eliseparts, and i,ve got to say i,ve done about 600 mils on it now and its working fine. its was well worth it considering the state that my old gasket was in due to the shitty little plastic dowls( which cause HGF).

Lotus will tell you not to skim the head(maybe to try make you buy new one), but i took my head to a engineering place in nottingham and he said he does about 10 K series heads a week and they should be done( only a couple of 100th of mm). If your replacing your head gasket, remember u need new head bolts as the old ones may have stretched to much and it may be advisable to do water pump while your there as these can cause HGF to, they don,t cost much from rover. good time to do the cam belt while your there( for peace of mind) and of course new oil and filter to.

if u need a cam locking tool and flywheel locking tool u are more then welcome to borrow mine and i also have all the relivant paper work printed out if u also need that??. i would roughly say if u know wat your doing u could have it done in a good day, and remember to take clam off, makes it so much easier( only 45 min job). :tup:

baz

You'll always find someone to tell you there's something "better" for more money.

Rover uprated the head Gasket KIT to include new metal dowels to replace the plastic ones as well as a slightly different gasket. Should resolve the problem as good as any after market one. Also, a decent mechanic will insist on replacing the long bolts (through block & head) which may have stretched under the thermal stress, and know what torque each bolt needs.

No guarantee of perfection but best practice.

Would someone explain to me what the word "competition" means in this context?

Graeme

Archived