litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Weird Noises

Marcel247

Hi All,

At higher speeds only, 70 mph +, I get tapping noises coming from below the driver's seat. This sounds like loose stones or nuts knocking on the outside under the aluminium car tub.

It's definitely not just stones from the road hitting the underside as the sound is continuous rather than eventually subsiding..

Can stones get caught in the aluminium undertray under the driver's side and if so what's the best way to remove them ??

:D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the tub under the passenger compartment single thickness only? (Basically there is no undertray under where the seats are...what you see when you look underneath the car is the other side of the same piece of metal you can see when looking at the passenger compartment from the top of the car)

Is there something trapped underneath your seat? Seats are easy to remove - just 4 bolts holding them down, but can be a bit fiddly. It's easy to loose a coin or get small stones lost under there.

...And I know from experience that the tiniest of stones can make a noise as though the cars about to blow up!

Hope that helps a bit.

Steve.

Erm, Scott - sound deadening to stop rattles and so on is OK then but carpets aren't? You lot are weird. :D

I don't see why something trapped under the seat (lie stones) would only move at 70 mph, but could see why a loose bolt or something might given added stresses etc at that speed.

I had a rattle that appeared to be coming from under the seat but there's so much reverb going on, it was eventually traced to a loose radio. It chatters away (der, without being switched on).

Do I take it we've eliminated suspension as the noise? Worn dampers sound like snooker balls banging together but that would be more evident on bumpy ground. Could even be the seat mounting?

Graeme

Archived