litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Modifying For Higher Speed Use.

Maxf

Aplogies for only being a member for 2 minutes and already bombarding the board with repetative mod questions, but:

I love my Elise (120 S2), and am really thrilled with the handling on those country roads (and the occasional traffic light grand prix). However I find that at speed, on motorways/dual carriageways the front end becomes incredibly light feeling, not inspiring any kind of confidence - this is much worse on wet/damp roads. I even had the front end tracked/balanced as I didn't think this was 'right' but they assure me the settings are correct.

Looking around various websites, a suggested solution seems to be a front splitter and possibly a different style rear diffuser (I have the std S2 type). Has anyone fitted either of these mods? I guess the front splitter sounds the most logical to improve weight on the front, but autostyle-solutions make a good case for a rear 'finned' diffuser.

I'm all for spending a bit of cash to get things right - but hate wasting money! Any comments or suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm skeptical of the benfits of those things...

I would have thought a geo rejig would be of more use, the infamous "Walshy" setup seems to be the way to go, sorts out the understeer too... Sinclaires in Romford can do this, though I know Simon G on here recently had his geo done at Horizon and was after the walshy specs so may have them available.

Walshy spec is different and is to do with setting toe in/camber etc slightly differently than standard for what he considers to be optimal set up (and I guess he would know). It seems fine for some but not liked by others.

I don't know if the rear diffuser on the S2 111s is different from standard but to be honest I don't get too much by way of lightness at the front end at speed, or not significant anyway. The rear diffuser on mine is effectively three part.

I would be very interested to drive a car set up like this.

Anyone here have it?

Plus willing to let me have a go at a first lotus day?

I guess Andy might let me drive his, but as its an S2, it wont be a good comparison...

I have to say you don't really want to be doing the sought of speeds that make the front go light when it's damp/wet (imo!)

How long have you owned your S2?

coz when i first got my S2 i was understeering like mad, but after a day with Andy Walsh i was cured!! (halleluyah!)

Walshy geo only applies to the S2 Bramble... they felt the handling was fine on the S1, but the lesser S2 needed a jump :)

Stick to std on yours i reckon, though i'm sure some folk may have improved things.. MarkA for instance.

Archived