litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exhaust And Cat Removal - S1....

dr.j

Hello

Has anyone removed the original S1 exhaust and cat themselves?

I'm just embarking on this-so far I've removed the undertray, seen lots of rusty nuts, said 'oh dear' and sprayed with copious amounts of WD40.

The nuts on the 'engine' end of the cat are all moving but the ones on t'other end look like they might be more of a challenge.

My question is - can the silencer and cat be removed together (i.e. without unbolting the cat from the silencer)? This would make life easier because I could attack the rusty nuts on the bench rather than under the car.

Any other pearls of wisdom on exhaust removal (other than stop pi55ing about and get someone else to do it for you) gratefully received!

Cheers

Andrew

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I use you as a source of knowledge...?

I'm thinking of de-catting mine and if you;ve been through the process, I'd like to know any problems you hit!

Also, you're in Nottingham (all the best people are...), so convenient too!

Rob

If you type in something along the lines of cat replacement or exhaust you will find this topic has been covered a few times,i did mine last year and had to resort to brute force and shear a few of the nuts off, its a pig of a job but it does come off in the end

Replaced mine myself and was very easy to do. Only thing is those bloody rusty bolts.

Took me hours to shift the first few, left the rest to soak overnight any they came off no problem.

The S1 looks a little more tricky as there isn't as much access space at the back. S2 was easy as rear undertray and grill is all you need to take off to get access to all you need.

It's also very rewarding when you've done some work on the car yourself.

If you type in something along the lines of cat replacement or exhaust you will find this topic has been covered a few times,i did mine last year and had to resort to brute force and shear a few of the nuts off, its a pig of a job but it does come off in the end

Agreed pain in the tea towel holder.

It's on Stevey's list of newbie mods to be trained how to ....

With my car passing the MOT yesterday I de-catted it tonight. Take off the 6 undertray bolts (2 x 13mm, 4 x 8mm) and let the undertray drop the the floor. Then just use a 17 socket and brute force. I did soak them in WD40 for 30 mins or so, it was still a right job though, I'm hardly Mr Muscle. Also my cat had the studs knocked out of it a while back, so now it's just nuts and bolts that hold it in. I will be removing it again in the next few weeks as I didn't have any of that copperslip stuff to put on the bolts to make it easier next time again. I also noticed I only had one gasket on, oops. Time to order a set. Took me a couple of hours this evening, no jacking up car or anything.

Oh, and the best thing you can lie ontop of a cold garage floor is bubblewrap! Excellent stuff. Now I just have to nick some more from work to wrap my hard top in.

Off to watch CSI ...

MODMAN - swapping is easy when the CAT's had the studs removed. Knocking them out is not the way to go. Heat em up, press em out.

Did you do the original DECAT (CRP) job yourself ?

Also, for fun, the best thing you can lie ontop of a cold garage floor, is a girly, makes em wiggle a lot :wacko:

The previous owner had the Lotus garage do the decat. The cat still had the studs in it though. I was at Donnington and was too loud, so the BAT team pressed the studs out for me with a vice and just popped in the cat for me with nuts & bolts. Good thing too, cos my tool set consists of a socket set and an adjustable spanner.

Anyone got a spare girly? :( My next door neighbour is mighty fine, but her husband is bigger than me.

Andrew,

Couple more tips for what it is worth.

My Liz is de-catted and I have to go through the re-catting process every year. Got it down to a fine art now!

If you haven't already, get some stainless bolts and aerotech nuts (elise parts) to fit the cat' and CRP. They never corrode and are always easy to remove. Always coat the threads with copper grease - that helps too.

Get some decent tools! A professional socket set with a good extention bar really helps with this job. Also - ratchet ring spanners are a big help, I even think the halfords ones are pretty good.

Have fun.

Duncs

Archived