litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wanted: Someone To Help Apply Viper Stripes

Fiona

I've found it hard to find someone local to fit viper stripes so I'm going to try it myself.

Our old friend Ollie is supplying the vinyl in 5 metre long widths for a very reasonable price.

Any volunteers to help fit it, laugh at my attempt, or give some useless advice in Nottingham? :P

It will probably have to be one night next week or the weekend after (10-11 July) as the Elise is in NW.

Fiona

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm, can't do it but you could look at mine in the flesh for comparison as mine were professionally done.

There's a place in Melbourne where I live that preps rally cars, they might be able to do a good job of it - was going to go down there myself and see if they'd put number roundels on the car for me.

Might have to look them up in yellow pages / phone book, can't find the website.

Simon.

To get it straight, you could use a laser line which shines a straight line of red in a vertical line.

We use them on site for brickwork and ceilings etc. You can probably get them from a tool hire place.

The only thing then is to park the car in the right place!!!! :P

HTH

steve

Why not pop to a local bodyshop and offer them some cash to sort it?

Or McDonalds on a friday night - Castle Mariner one, i'm sure there are plenty of folk there experienced in the art of applying dodgy graphics to cars - not that stripes are dodgy!!!

Em, Stevie,

It's probably going to be next weekend, the 10th or the 11th. Shall we say the Sunday around lunchtime? That'll give me the saturday to wax and polish. If the weather's nice I'll stick on a barbie.

Stevie, you're more than welcome to borrow the front wheel.

Fiona

I used to apply vinyl graphics a few years ago

A few tips which might help ?

Clean the paint with meths before you apply anything - not white spirit or anything which leaves a residue. Take care not to get meths on any rubber parts !

Make some guide marks on the paint with a china-graph pencil where you want the stripes to go. You can get white ones if your car is a dark colour.

Don't be afraid to put the stripes on slightly pissed - so long as it looks right. Sometimes straight and even looks wrong, especially if applied to a curved surface.

Before you stick anything on, wet the sticky side of the vinyl and/or the paint with plant sprayer, using water with a tiny drop of washing-up liquid in it. This will allow you to slide the stripes into the right place without them sticking on.

When you have them in the right place, squeegee out the water and air bubbles using a plastic spatula (your supplier will have these)

Trim when dry with a scalpel, cutting just through the vinyl, not into the paint.

Don't worry if it seems to take a while to dry

Oh and don't drive it for 24 hours if you use this method !

Good luck........

Archived