litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise S2 111S Idle Issues And Dropping Revs

glitch

Not sure if this helps but I had an issue my standard S1 where intermittently the car wouldn't idle correctly and kept hunting. If it was damp weather, starting became a complete pain as the car wouldn't fire up straight away, so it was definitely electrical.

I ended up doing the usual things of resetting and checking the IACV, replacing distribution cap, spark plugs, HT leads and even coil. In the end I broke down on a school run and it refused to start. Called the AA and the chap diagnosed a faulty rotor arm and fixed it on the spot. Apparently they can develop a small hairline crack which can short out. You can't see anything as I cleaned the rotor arm up when I replaced the distribution cap as it looked fine. 

Not sure if helps with your problem but it's an easy one to check?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just read your post on SELOC. You say it ran ok till the cam belt was changed? Were both belts changed? Cam and rear VVC timing belt? If that is correct remove the front and BACK belt covers and check the timing marks line up as per the manual.

Hi Martin,

I have asked the garage to double check the cam timing again. Apparently on the K06a kit that I have, it runs a different exhaust cam than from stock, but should still be timed the same as stock. Before I picked the car up, the chap I bought it from changed both belts, question is if it was timed right then....but then as the engine was rebuilt, the cams should have been correctly timed.

Anyway, we'll see.

As for the other post, thanks but on the S2 it is not the same ignition system as on the S1 so not an issue in the same way.

Anyway spark leads and coils have been changed just to be on the safe side..

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.

Just picked up the car this weekend. After having tried all sensors, the garage put the race cat back on that was on the car when I first test drove it. Due to MOT fail, the OEM cat was put on before I took delivery to get a fresh MOT and since then the OEM has been on.
With the race cat things changed around. The car drives much better now. Even on lower revs and constant throttle it behaves much better and drives smoother.

Idle sits slightly higher, still not stable, but driving is much better.
When car is cold, idle is perfect, then after 30 seconds or so it starts to be erratic again, but driving the car is great.

Archived