litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hamilton's Run Of Bad Luck.

MSH

Ah yes but I don't for a moment think they could persuade the British engineers, car mechanics and other various team members to scupper Lewis' car. it would be nigh on impossible to keep it quiet.

I think he's just having a run of bad luck, happens to us all.

Your probably right. Although it's worth pointing out what happened in 78 with Lotus. Mario Andretti was nowhere near as quick as Ronnie Peterson, but because Chapman wanted to open up the American market for Lotus he wanted Andretti to win the Championship, so actively sought to slow down Peterson by sneaking extra fuel into his car during qualifying amongst other things. All because he desperately wanted Andretti to win and create market profile in the USA for Lotus. I'm not saying this is a direct comparison, only that when teams have vested interests they will play to them.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key thing to remember is that Mercedes is, in fact, a British team... ;-)

Mercedes F1 are a British team running with German funding (and a German licence)

Cars are built at Brackley, and the engines at Brixworth by Mercedes High Performance Engines Ltd who used to be called Illmor - both just a stones thow from Silverstone

There are not many germans in the list of key personnel.

Major team personnel

Executive director (technical): Paddy Lowe

Executive director (business): Toto Wolff

Non-executive chairman: Niki Lauda

Managing director of Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains: Andy Cowell

Technical director: Bob Bell

Engineering director: Aldo Costa

Technology director: Geoff Willis

Sporting director: Ron Meadows

Performance director: Mark Ellis (from June 2014)

Chief engineer, simulation and development: Giles Wood (from June 2014)

Chief mechanic: Matthew Deane

Chief race engineer: Andrew Shovlin

Chief track engineer: Simon Cole

Race engineer (Lewis Hamilton): Peter Bonnington

Race engineer (Nico Rosberg): Tony Ross

Performance engineer (Lewis Hamilton): Jock Clear

Performance engineer (Nico Rosberg): Riccardo Musconi

My brother worked as an IT contractor up until very recently at Mercedes F1 Northampton. He also got the post at McLaren of the traveling IT guru, but changed his mind after a short period during the testing season last year(for very valid reasons I won't go into here) and went back to Mercedes. We are very lucky to have such a thriving, cutting edge industry in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

The cars and engineers, yes. The management are as German as Bratwurst.

That Toto Wolff is a very powerful man and if he says, then it is done!!!! Plus he sounds like Arnie (Terminator)

Archived