litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hurricane And 160 Tb

daz f

After many weeks of consideration, I've finally come to the decision to get myself a Hurricane(replacing K&N 57i) I know everyone goes on about the Hurricane and how good it is, but is is £164 better than my warm engine bay air induction on at the minute.

Secondly I would appreciate any advice on the 160 throttle body. Is it worth doing at the same time as the above, where to buy cheap, advantages, disadvantages etc.

Cheers Daz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the Hurricane and kept the standard throttle body, only reasoning I wasnt having any trouble from it yet..

I gather it is supposed to be better, guess it comes down to wether you can afford to do it now or later.

I couldnt find the hurricane induction anywhere, but there is a pipercross viper, that was apparently developed on/for the 340R... is this the same thing/replacement for?...

If the 160 throttle body is the std part for the MG-F 160 trophy / MG-ZR 160, I might be able to get you one on the cheap... ...if anyone knows, let me know and I will see what I can do

b :)

struggling... on that part the discount is tiny.. 118.22+vat, which is crap because I normally get anywhere upto 70% off

I will see if I can sort some more discount through somewhere else over the weekend

b :drive:

Sounds good catboy...

Hurricane is well worth doing, but you could save your cash and take a cold air pipe from the air vent to the K&N and get pretty much the same effect. Having also looked recently the ITG has a MUCH larger airbox, not sure how much difference it will make but hey.

As for the 160TB, it's a tough one... i had one and no longer do, though that was down to the 135 head apparantly running lean if you use it. It certainly made a small improvement in my car, but it's an expensive part... the main drawback to it is that low speed driving is a pig as it's very jerky due to the throttle opening.

You would be better sourcing some second hand Jenvey or Titan Direct to Head TB's and a decent airbox - which if you look second hand is probably a similar cost to the above.

Thanks Scott now i dont know what to do. :blink:

I have a pipe running from the side air vent straight to the K&N. This was why i was questioning spending all that money just for an encased filter.

DTHTB would be nice, but so would a manifold. gonna go and have a search round see what my £400ish can get me.

Cat boy i am interested if you can get a 52mm TB for cheap.

There is a place in Wolverhampton that sells TB's cheap, can't recall the name though!

If you already have a pipe running from the vent, then there will be very little gain from fitting a Hurricane.

Manifold is nice... adds lots of low down torque, i've not tried DTHTB's yet so don't know the difference they make, but given the mods you currently have, a Manifold is the best advance IMHO!

have you still got the original air-box?.. One thing we used to do with jap cars that might be good on an elise (no promises) was to install the std air box, but cover it in heat-reflective material (like on the firewall).

Then, run a decent hose (silver helps keep a bit more of the heat out) from the side air intake to the air-box (manufacturer ones tend to be crap in my experience) that hasnt got any restrictions, and pref seals nicely around the bodywork so you dont get any heat soak at the entrace from the engine.

Once you have all of that, rip the guts out of the airbox and fit your sock filter or k'n'N style cone filter in there on the outlet (to throttle body) side.

This is basically what the cold air induction kits do, however this method is cheaper, looks more original, and also gives you the benefit of having cold air in the box around the filter, rather than just heading towards it through the supply hose.

I know its a bit ghetto, but it worked really well for us on RX7's and skylines, and kept the jap police happy as the engine bay looked close enough to standard that most couldnt tell the difference!

b :D

Junk the K&N Daz!

Hurricane sounds better and is properly sealed from hot engine bay air. Go for the TB as well, on it's own it prob doesnt add to much, but with everything else!

If you can get 160 TB's cheap, I can see you being very popular Ben! :D

Archived