litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Help Needed

tazbaz69

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you get at it by removing the door inset nad then there are two clips that hold it in place - re-glue the window to this.

ok cheers, can u also adjust the windows to move closer to door seal aswell as it sticks slighty out allowing water to enter the car

I hate that job. I think Geary at Eliseparts does the little blocks that stick to the window glass which have the nuts that bolt to the winder mechanism. I would defintely get them and replace them rather than try and re-glue the old ones back on (You'll see what I mean when you get at it). You will need three. Make sure you get the blocks back on where the others come off (There will be clear marks). Also be careful to get the window back in the crappy runners correctly. Sometimes the rubber edges peel off and shoving the window back in 'aggravates' them. You will undoutadely bleed during this job, so have some plasters to hand too. As you can imagine, it's also one of those jobs where you will swear alot, so best have a can of something cold and soothing alongside and some calming music (Suggest 'Jailbreak' by AC/DC, live version preferably). Liberal use of silicon lubricant will help it run loose, though don't put WD40 on it as it dries it out even more. DIY as well, as CD Brainless in Leicester did it once for me, charged £150 and it fell out again on the way home :blink:

NB - the winder mechanism is mega sharp - beware!!!!! :blush:;)

PS: If you knack up the little plastic screws keeping the door panel on, you can get more at halfarts or better still, get proper ally ones (Geary again)

PPS - I found the propensity for the thing to break reduced when I changed from plastic door winders to ally ones. Don't know why.

Oh the joys of S1 motoring. I guess we have to pay a price for having the best Elise ever and windows are one of them. I have had the dropped window a few times and there seems to be little logic to it. When it happened the first time I played around myself and yes there were a few plasters needed and a few cold ones after. Wait till you have finished for the cold ones, I found it hard enough to imagine the 3D space I could not see while sober. Tracked the problem down to the rubber channel on the trailing edge of the mechanism.

Lasted some months then went twice in a mater of days so went to a proffesional and it dropped on the way home!! Lost the car for 2 days while he fixed it and it has been fine since (what a stupid thing to say) though I do tend to be "gentle" with it.

Best solution is to drive with the roof off all the time, that way it can not freeze to the frame rubbers anyway and you very rarely have to wind them down.

Well that is my 2 pen'th.

Peter

Had exactly the same problem last year. Some one on here posted a really usefull link with instructions on what to do and pickies to make it easier. It is worth having a look through for it.

Ally

Archived