litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tow Bars

graeme_laslett

Hi All,

Just been to enquire about having a tow bar fitted so that I can tow the Elise to Sprints this year and got hit with

"Certainly Sir, do you need 7 or 13 pin electrics?"

I have not got or chosen a trailer yet, but was wondering if either was is a more common fitting, or which would be "best" for my kind of towing. I make this assumption that it is cheaper / easier to get a trailer rewired than the tow attachement

Thanks in advance

G

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 pin is the traditional UK "push" fit on both the vehicle mounted towbar electrics and the harness on the trailer.

13 pin is the newer EU guidelines and is what I've got fitted to my new car.

Got to say the 13 pin is a much better fit as it screws onto the tariler / bike rack and appears to be a much firmer almost locked joint.

I work for a car company and change cars every 6 months and this is the first 13 pin set up I have. The old 7 pin "push" fit used to occaisonly not connect properley and you would have issues with lights etc on the trailer. With the 13 pin - no issues whatsover. I use a trailer and a towbar cycle carrier and the towbar to bike rack is 13 to 13 pin and the fit is great.

7 pin is no doubt more common as 13 pin is just starting to appear in the UK, so if you buy a 2nd hand trailer its likley to have the 7 pin socket.

That said you can get converters that go 13 to 7 but it does mean another connection in the circuit to worry about. This is what I have to do with the trailer although I am going to get it changed to 13 pin when its next serviced by Brian James.

If it was me and I was buying a trailer I'd get a brian james with a 13 pin socket and make sure the towbar that was fitted on my car was also 13 pin.

Hope that helps.

Archived