litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Good Roads Around The Hinckley Area?

KiwiPete

:tup:

My mate has a Caterham for the day and wants me to join him for a drive. He picks it up from Earl Shilton on thursday morning.

I know we've done a few events around that area and was wondering what roads were good.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

PS not too far away as they only allow less than 100 miles.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head towards Belvoir Castle and back - probably looking at about 60 miles in total - loads of cracking roads and tons of great places to stop.

Check your map book for the location in relation to Leicestershire.

pete, When we did the run to brunty or bust we covered quite a few good roads aroud that sort of area. I understand scott mac, graeme and a few others organised the root. If you look back in some of the threads i bet the root can still be downloaded. (probably under eevents). I am sorry i cant creat a link as i no nothing about computers

Hope that helps

Ally

yup here you go, hope this is of some use

FROM HINCKLEY TAKE THE A447 TO COALVILLE

A511 TO ASHBY

A512 COLEORTON

LEFT ON TO A5324 TO HATHERN

A6006 TO MELTON

A606 TO OAKHAM

A47 TO BILLESDON

B6047 TO MARKET HARBOROUGH

A4304 TO LUTTERWORTH

THEN HOME

Some damm nice pieces of road there, especially the B6047 from Billesdon to Market Harborough and the A5324 from Coleorton to Hathern

Pete, there's some good routes out Rutland way, including the Hallaton loop we do on our runs. Best give Graeme a shout and i'm sure he can email you the route round Notts, Leic's and Rutland we do on the run.

Dave

The challenge is the 100 mile threshold.

Alan's got it about right but here are some minor variations:

For a start the Caterham place is well out of Earl Shilton, on the A47 towards Leicester.

Turn R out of the entrance onto A47 > Leicester.

Turn L towards Desford & Caterpillar

Turn L again & through Peckleton.

At T-jcn in Kirkby Mallory, turn R towards Cadeby (I think), Sutton Cheney?

At T-jcn, turn R towards COALVILLE A447

In Ibstock, turn 2nd LEFT, as the road bears round to the right, (signposted 7.5 Tons) into Station Road. Passing Jeff Fowkes Wheels on your LHS.

In Heather, turn RIGHT at T-junction signed Normanton-le-Heath

At mini-RAB turn IMMEDIATLEY LEFT towards Normanton & Packington. Travel through Normanton.

In Packington, follow round to the RIGHT on the road towards Coalville (Coleorton Lane)

At x-roads, go straight over towards Farm Town (Corkscrew Lane)

At junction with A511 Burton, turn LEFT towards Ashby, Burton and A42 junction.

At RAB with A42, take last RIGHT exit A512 towards Loughborough

Turn LEFT onto B5324 signposted Hathern,Newbold & Ogsathorpe

Take staggered LEFT-RIGHT junction across the A6 to pick up A6006 towards Melton Mowbray.

At traffic lights cross over A60 (staying on A6006) & pass under A46

CAUTION!! After road straightens, turn RIGHT to go into Asfordsby village on Loughborough Road.

In Asfordby just before the road bends round to the LEFT, turn RIGHT into Station Lane (signposted to Kirby Bellars), over bridges & Level Crossing.

At T-junc. with A607, turn LEFT towards Melton Mowbray.

CAUTION!! On double apex LH bend, Indicate early, Turn RIGHT towards Great Dalby

In Great Dalby, just after village entry sign, turn RIGHT into Station Road.

In Ashby Folville, after bridge turn RIGHT at T-junction towards Barsby & Gaddesby

CAUTION !! After road goes LEFT, go Straight on (in effect L turn) towards Barsby & South Croxton as the road goes round to the RIGHT Give way at X-roads turn LEFT towards Twyford & Lowesby

At T Junction turn RIGHT on B6047 towards Market Harborough, Tilton & Lowesby

Well past Tilton on the Hill, give way, staggered RIGHT - LEFT to cross the A47 (stay on B6047 to Market Harborough). Pass through New Inn.

Stay on the B6047 into MARKET HARBOROUGH.

Follows sings for LUTTERWORTH, taking A4304 (beware of speed cameras in villages)

At Magna Park, pick up A5 > Hinckley

At Smockington Hollow (big dip) filter right towards Sharnford.

Through Sharnford.

Before T/Lights with S/P R for Broughton Astley, turn L to Stoney Stanton.

Through Stoney Stanton.

At mini-RAB, turn R & through Earl Shilton, out the other side & Caterham is on RHS.

Should stay under 100 miles. Enjoy!

Graeme

Yep! All bar the twiddly bits at beginning & end.

Alternatively you could head south into Warks. Use Fosseway & great roads between Leamington, Southam, Daventry, Banbury, Stratford etc. But save that for next time!

Graeme

We (well Beefy, actually) should be establishing an archive of old run routes & maps, for posterity.

Means anyone at a loose end can try out a prepared route - great for the newbies before joining the mayhem and nostalgia for the old guard.

Graeme

Archived