litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Painting My Brake Calipers Red

nordberg

Have taken my wheels off the car and will be taking them to be painted this week. Got my new brake disks from Eliseparts but want to paint my calipers while the car is off the ground.

I remember some time back looking at a webpage that showed an elise having the calipers painted red while the car was in the same position mine is at present. Think the guy was from holland but I am struggling to find a link to his website. If anybody can help or offer any advice on the subject I would appreciate it greatly.

PS. I am going to use smoothrite paint as I think it is pretty temprature resistant.

Thanks in advance

Andy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy,

I used hammerite on mine and it worked fine. you may need a few coats though with it being red paint.

It's best to do them when they have been unbolted so you can get at all the sides to paint. just don't paint the bleed nipples though

http://www.lotus-elise.nl/Mods/Calipers/calipers.html

there you go..

not red though mate ;o)

Thats the ticket Alasdair :-). I am having my wheels painted white. Guess its personal preference but I am hoping it will look OK with my new drilled / grooved Eliseparts brake disks. Only time will tell.

Cheers again.

I really fancy painting mine black and then painting the lotus writing on the caliper white....

Didn't think you would have to remove the whole caliper tho..?

I didn't remove anything, just the wheels

post-750-1165836886.jpg

I really fancy painting mine black and then painting the lotus writing on the caliper white....

Didn't think you would have to remove the whole caliper tho..?

I didn't remove anything, just the wheels

post-750-1165836886.jpg

Thats exactly what I'm after!!!..... I'm holding out to get some 160 wheels too :)

What paint etc. did you use? how long did it take?

Cheers , H :)

Thats exactly what I'm after!!!..... I'm holding out to get some 160 wheels too :D

What paint etc. did you use? how long did it take?

Cheers , H :)

H - it took a while, but isn't difficult. Jacked up one side at a time, removed wheels, cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner, rinsed and dried off. Pained em carefully with a tiny brush, hammerite smooth black, 2 coats. Avoided the Lotus logo as much as possible but polished the metal back on the letters afterwards anyway with wet n dry 1200 grit - looks great. Clear laquer on the lettering stops the metal losing its shine.

As above, avoid the bleed nipple and the nuts/blots and jobs a good un.

If you do them red or yellow then I withdraw all advice, and will pretend not to know you ;)

- Beefcake edit you dont need to add the / to the start of the quote just the end one :) I've fixed it for you.

Archived