litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Motobuild Showercape Review(of Sorts)

Sol

Well..after my unfortunate 'incident' a month or so ago, the car is back and geo'd from Sinclaires with a new front clam. Thought Id say thanks for the recommendation to go there- they did do a fantastic job and the car feels like new. Dont know whether it is a placebo, but the ride feels better...

Just before the incident, I had ummed and ahhed about which showercape to get and stumped for the motobuild which seems to be second choice to the elemental. There was a previous thread here so I wont repeat myself..

The last 2 days I drove in topless and left the car with the cape on all day even though the weather has been unbelievably schizo(sun one minute, then heavyish showers, then hail and...sun). I kinda thought Id see what point the thing would give in and leak, having been told by motobuild that its not really for heavy showers. To my huge surprise, its been a dry cabin! The way the thing is built, it does have the tendency to collect standing water if it rains heavily because theres no central support(but at that point the soft top would take as long to fit)

Its easy enough to put on and remove, and seems secure, though obviously Im not sure about the long term and whether it would get less watertight(some fablon might help?)...

Anyway, a satisfied customer. See you guys at the next run....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with lots of that.... its a minor problem where it does collect water IMO, its easy enough to shake it off.

It is very easy to put on though and works wonderfully.... i've taken to using mine on top of the hood when it looks like rain as it keeps everything dry!

Have had two bath tops this and last week, as I've had the roof off everyday for a few weeks now. Even with great depths of water on top

it has been okay inside, well, apart from when I empty the cape into the passenger side! Whoops! :D

Although I always keep a towel in the car, just in case! :)

Yeah, I almost emptied the water into the cabin on removal too! Thats the trickiest part..towel to join the shades+cap in the car kit methinks.

Just out of interest, what order do you put it on? I do it

1)Left wing mirror, right wing mirror

2) Rear "Nubs"

3) Unscrew antenna and loop antenna hoop.

Is there an easier way? Basically I found that putting the front wing loops on after securing the back meant having to pull the wing mirrors in, which meant getting a really nice view of moving tarmac while driving..

Archived