litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Insurance Advice

No 10

Hi all,

I'm bowing to pressure from work and buying a 2nd ‘work car’ something more sensible. The girlfriends dad is gonna as good as give me his Volvo S70 2.5t v5. My only problem is the insurance though I am 27 my elise is only about £650 to ensure with Tescos to insure a 2nd car 3rd party fire and theift is £675 which is a killer for a car which is worth little more thank 4-5 grand. It’s because of not being able to use my no claims bonus for the 2nd car. I’ve tried using the Mrs’ details but she had an accident 2 years ago and apparently that excludes her from using her 2 years no claims bonus on a 2nd car.

So anyone have any ideas or advice. I’m getting it this weekend and think I’ve tried everything.

Thanks

Nigel

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nigel,

I had this exact problem as discussed hereInsurance thread..Not an easy answer Im afraid. I didnt manage to find anyone to "match" the ncd, but shopped around for the cheapest quote for the 2nd car with no ncd. You might have better luck if you were female-some insurers will match on both apparently. Its a question of shopping on the 2nd quote and getting the underwriters to fight it out.

Being previously Tesco insured, Im now Adrian Flux(Lotus)/ A Plan(Honda) which was the best deal I could get. Good luck...btw, I had a little knock recently in the Lotus, and would strongly recommend you protect your NCD if poss(650 sounds like you have a few years under your belt)..Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice, it looks like I'll have to take the hit. I am getting a car which is nearly 200bhp for a very cheep price so I can justify the insurance outlay.

I have protected no claims but only on the Elise I presume if I have a knock with the other policy it dosn't affect my protected no claims on the elise.

FWIW I'd check out to see if any insurance company that you use will let you build up a second ncb on the second car, since I am told that some do. May still be a pain this year but at least it might get better from here on.

Kristian :(

Archived