litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Steering Rack Removal

Jamo

Can anyone shed some light as to why mine won't come out?

The service manual helpfully reads: 'manouvre the assembly out of the crossmember', but looking along the rack it looks as though the splined pinion shaft is too big to fit through the hole.

I struggled with the rack for about an hour, pulling in both directions and rotating it, am I missing something? :bounce:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me about it Jamo! - just seems like it can't be possible to get it out eh?

I bet you are trying to remove it from the off side? right?

Sounds weird but try removing it from the near side (passenger side) and for some reason that I can't fathom it comes out easily - well maybe not easily but just a little wiggle and out she pops!

Give it a go.

Dunc

Tell me about it Jamo! - just seems like it can't be possible to get it out eh?

I bet you are trying to remove it from the off side? right?

Sounds weird but try removing it from the near side (passenger side) and for some reason that I can't fathom it comes out easily - well maybe not easily but just a little wiggle and out she pops!

Give it a go.

Dunc

That's right offside has been my main focus, i'll refocus the efforts to the nearside and see what I can do! The main problem I can see is being unable to get decent purchase on the rack itself, as the TREs just move about and rotate freely!!! :clap:

I shall report back after having a go tonight!

There are some redundant rivnuts that make removing the rack virtually impossible without removing them.

I think the rivnuts were inserted after the rack was put in at the factory. I think they are for the battery holder in left hand drive format

Best of luck!!

You mean these:

post-1128-1156238996.jpg :drive:

They certainly caused trouble as the pinion wouldn't go back far enough:

post-1128-1156239065.jpg :rolleyes:

However, I tried from the nearside, got my hand in and viola:

post-1128-1156239188.jpg :lol:

The trick was to get my hand in and grip the rack itself, rotate it whilst moving back and forth along the crossmember! :)

Archived