litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Numberplate - What And Where?

MattyB

Seeing as my numberplate (and the mounting thing) was stolen from the roadside, I was wondering what plate to get, and where to put it.

I'm not going to pay £70+VAT for another mounting plate thing, and it what with the car being so low it got smacked off every speed hump/camber change - so I was wondering what my other options were?

Where else can it be stuck? Obviously gotta be careful not to bloke the airflow too...any ideas?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I paid £38 inc VAT for my number plate plinth from Williams in Bristol - At Dick Lovett in Cheltenham it was the same price.

Could always have a stick on one on the front clam above the badge but i dont know how legal they are and I find they ruin the look of the Elise.

I prised off my front numberplate & plinth with the help of a roadsign...

Paid the money for a new plinth and paid fancyplates.com about £20 for a custom sized plate. Standard font but letters 70mm high instead of 82mm and a much narrower border. Designed to fit the plinth with no overlap above or below and looks good. Plod would have to put a full size one side by side to realise it was smaller - quite subtle.

Seems to be a craze among the SELOC boys to run plate-free, and many had even gone to the trouble of filling in the mounting holes on the clam! Apparently you risk a £25 fine for not having one but very few documented incidences of people actually being stopped. Best to carry plate & plinth in the boot and say it got knocked off and you intend to refit it once home.

Of course £25 is a lot less than £60 & 3pts from a forward facing camera...

Graeme

I've been running without a plate for a while now - passed loads of coppers who've given me the evil eye - but that might be because of the smashed front end!

None of them have bothered pulling me, but from the looks I'm getting its probably just a matter of time.

As for the plate - No, I don't like the stick on ones either, and they're not legal anyway...and Beefcake, where have you "velcroed" yours to? On a plinth or directly on the clam? And where?

Matty

Given that you've gone to the trouble of smashing up the front clam it's unlikely that the coppers would give you too much stick about the plate not being on.

Surprised that some scrote nicked the plate and mounting. Why would they want to?

Mine are standard but just fixed on with this double sided foam stuff which seems to hold them well enough.

Kristian :lol:

Was thinking of a smaller plate for mine, the standard one looks to big at the moment!

Might have a go without one? Thing is don't want anymore reason for plod to pull me over - although you hardly see them on the roads, just speed cameras :lol:

So what happens if you do get flashed, and they somehow manage to trace you? Do you get into even more trouble?

This will sound like scare mongering but I am told it's true by a guy I know well who used to install cameras etc. He tells me that many of the digital ones are now detailed enough to read your number from the tax disc on your windscreen if photographed from the front if they can be bothered.

IIRC (and Strees can probably help here) you could get done for trying to avoid due legal process etc, and still pick up the points/fine. :lol:

Just got a quote on a 28 x 8 black & silver digit plate - £12.95 delivered. If its gonna be illegal I might as well go whole hog cos it'll look great on my black Liz

Beefcake - now where did you get that industrial stength velcro? Is it just the heavy duty stuff from Halfords?

Archived