litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Would You Pay £10k For A Honda Conversion?

MattyB

Would you pay £10k for a Honda conversion?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay £10k for a Honda conversion?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly, if money was no object

Just interested if anyone would pay £10,000 to have the Honda block dropped in their Elise. Personally, my 160 feels fast enough for me - 190 even more so.

And are you buying it for the power alone? Or for the (supposed?) better reliability....smoothness.....VTEC?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are extremely rapid, they are (alledgedly) more reliable etc...

But, i think all the extra power may detract a little from the finesse and delicacy of the car, having seen the ferocity of their acceleration, i should imagine it'd be nigh on deadly in the wet/snow, even if you were being careful.

V.tempting though as they are fast as f**k!

I think the money no object choice is a little too obvious.

Personally I just dont want to drive one. Cos Ill want one. And itll be a case of

money is an object but fuck it.

So no.

shut up. be quiet :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
They are extremely rapid, they are (alledgedly) more reliable etc...

But, i think all the extra power may detract a little from the finesse and delicacy of the car, having seen the ferocity of their acceleration, i should imagine it'd be nigh on deadly in the wet/snow, even if you were being careful.

V.tempting though as they are fast as f**k!

Actually compared to a full spec VHPD there is very little difference in peak power. What changes is the way the power is delivered smoothly right across the rev range. IMHO it greatly enhances the finesse and delicacy of the car as you put it. The flexibility at the lower end of the rev range is amazing, it's easy to pootle about around town or in bad weather. Then you can take it on track, keep it above 5000rpm and it drives like a different car. In 6th you can drive from 30 to 160*mph. RR results here:

http://www.letsoffroad.net/elise/hondadyno.html

*ish :)

Blimey the Prototype one looked rapid... is that Paul Goldings???

I thought the power output was closer to 225bhp anyway?? The performance seems even more impressive given the power!

I've only been a passenger in them so my thoughts were based on that, the ferocity of the acceleration made me think it would be a sod, but i reckon you are better placed to say about that!!!

Archived