litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Thats Fvcked It...

MattyB

My bro in law has just phoned me to make a confession....he just broken my Elise :drive:

Classic accident - coming off an island, put a bit of power on, back end came round probably on some black ice - straight into the armco stuff.

Cracked the front clam, smashed the indicator...not sure of any other damage. We're swapping back on Sunday so I'll be able to assess it then, and its going into NW on Wednesday so I can ask there opinion.

Arse :D

Pretty much fecked things though, sounds like a new-clam job, so my NCB will take a hit, and thats *fairly* important when your 22 and your cars group 20. On the upside - the front clam was in need of a respray :wacko:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matty...with all respect mate

the tyre setup you have and as weather conditions that are...its pretty much asking for trouble and then theres the matter of letting someone drive the car who doesn't really know it....

Don't want to add insult to injury and all...

BUT....at least you get a nice new clam respray :wacko:

Might be worth asking for a Geo on the insurance as well...(as you hit it quite hard didn't u ?.....didn't u :drive: )

To be fair, it was oversteer - and you'd think that with my setup it would have been understeer. And he knows the car quite well - he clocked up a fair few miles in it when he was insured on it before, and I've had no problem with his driving.

Heck, he even managed to get back home fine the other night when the roads were really bad!

As for the repairs - if the clamshell is cracked, is it possible to be repaired? Or is it a replacement job?

Matty

There are cracks and cracks...

If the two sides of the crack have gone "floppy" then the panel has become destressed and just glueing it back together won't make it rigid again. However, if the crack is more localised and the strength still exists elsewhere in the panel, then a localised patch will suffice.

The other consideration is the deformable crash structure inboard of the clam. If the impact was such that it did what it's supposed to, it deforms sacrificially to prevent the impact shock transmitting all the way to the chassis (and occupants). You can see the crash box through the grille - if it is smooth and uncracked you're OK but it's another cost to consider.

In my recent prang, I seem to have just about got away will saving both but others have not been so lucky - strees?

Tough break anyhow - hopefully it'll be back up & running soon.

Graeme

You would think understeer would be the problem seeing as your front tyres have the same width as a 10 pence piece :wacko: but anyone who has been out in the ice with thier elise will realise that the slighest application of power means renders the front wheels meaningless as all the power is at your rear. The wheels are going to travel faster than the traction on ice/wet will allow. and...ouch.

Tell me about it. Ended up facing the wrong way twice last night :drive:

Saying that he could having been driving brambles freshly geo's freshy tyred car and it still happened.

Repaired Clam or a New Clam ?

Who cares - You ain't paying for it so don't worry.

Such a bummer when you stack it. I think i need a second car ! or a new car !

NW's use City Centre Care Care in Brum ... doing mine at the mo and seem fine (not seen the work yet - get the car back next week).

I can guarantee that the damage will be more severe than you think. Mine did not look bad at all - just a front clam and respray. But crash box will most likely have been touched, as will the undertray.

If it is insurance, get a front clam rather than a rapair. Oh and they add a Geo on in any case :D

It happened to me - City Centre Cars did a good job on my Elise.

But when they examined the Elise, realised that it needs new suspension arm, steering rack and so on.

The problem is when it hits the kerb, you cannot see the damage until they looked at it!

Just drove it this morning - was so careful as don't want it to happen again.

BTW will check out the 111r at Nick Whale's.

M :D

Arse Matty....

As stated above, the wider rear tyres will have made more of an effect on the problem.. so converse to what you think.

As also said, tbh who cares about the damage, you aren't paying for it, so get it done proper, might be worth hoping for GEO too :oops: I hope the decat doesn't cause a problem too :D

My thoughts exactly Scott - if the car had been seriously damaged, the first thing that came to mind was....decat...."incorrect" tyres...2 good reasons they could have used to not pay :D

I'll post a pic of the damage when I see it tomorrow....but, to try and explain....

Baisically, its "scored" the clam from the bottom of the drivers-side indicator through to the main light. Slightly split in the middle, but nothing major. It didn't hit the armco - it went underneath it...

Sorry to hear about your car matty, i'd be gutted and telling my sister to get a divorce.

Just out of interest as you are a young driver too, who do you have your insurance with?

I hope you get your motor sorted soon.

Matty

Echo what the others have said - if you're claiming on insurance try to get everything you can. The clam shell can look relatively undamaged but hairline cracks can spread over time. The crash box is designed to crumple and absorb impact, so that can go quite easily. If it goes to CCCC in Brum (via Nick W), they did a great job on mine, very quickly, beating the estimate time, and kept me fully informed.

Hope it's sorted soon anyway

Kristian :D

Yeah an as a side note - spent 2 hours with a mate driving round Brum today trying to find NW for their opinion .... and we'll be arsed if we could find them!

Got the map off the site, but we couldn't locate the place...grr...

We will insist on buying plastic cars won't we :D

Best thing to do is take it to a decent Paint shop. Im no paint expert our probably looking at £700 for your preperation and paint and then theres your parts to go on top.

My excess is £350 and im guessing yours will be around the same Matt. Put it this way.

Excess + NCB taking a hit + Accident noted on your premium + Increase for next years premium

Vs

Approx well under <£1k to do it yourself.

Work it out. I bet theres not a lot in it. Do it yourself and keep your premium clean.

Archived