litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Would You Replace The Elise With?

MattyB

It'll be a long time away due to not having the money but I really want a Tamora or the T350C.

Love the Elise but it just needs MORE POWER! Purely for resale reasons it's not worth messing with the engine too much. It feels nippy but not powerful.

Fiona

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting question, but everyone has reached the same conclusion - for doing what the Elise does, NOTHING does it anything like as well.

Those who are looking for something different:

1. Have got the Elise thing out of their system and ready to manage without

2. Want a more extreme track-day car with more grunt

3. Need something more civilised for day-to-day.

Truth is, nothing is faster or more rewarding on a good road (as distinct from track). The practical limitation on a testing road is the need to be able to see through the next bend which dictates entry speed, not the limits of adhesion. On a wet road, a pseudo-rally 4x4 (Imprevo) would be faster & safer.

I guess if you need a more civilised Elise with more mid-range grunt, then the answer would have to be VX Turbo.

id agree with fiona about the TVR t350... but id go for the T over the C, cos i taking roofs off lol gorgeous looking car too!

as for the original q, a 'sensible' car... id go for a new(ish) mini cooper and spend the change on a yamaha R1, and lots of peanut m&ms :) and redbull

:D

Let not get my conundrum (sp?) out of context here - I'm selling purely because I have to...not because I want to!

If it were possible, the only car I'd swap the Elise for (bearing in mind my current budget) would be an Exige. Always wanted one....although come summer I'd miss not being able to take the top off.

Although I could also be tempted by a 350C :D Gorgeous cars...shame I can't afford one !

And I know that, come summer, I wont be able to sell it, which is what worries me...also, the idea of having a second car does nothing for me - The Elise takes *alot* of my money, and I don't think I'm prepared to spend £300 a month + running costs on a car which will only come out at weekends. If I was on double what I'm earning now, then maybe.

As for what to replace it with, or what I'm looking at, NOTHING within my price range "floats my boat" like the Elise. I don't have an urge for any current car. Things on my list are...

Leon CupraR, as mentioned, would be my top choice.

New ITR? Very nice, it being an import puts me off though.

RX8? Yes please, very tempting.

Audi RS2 - Subtle, stupidly quick, very suited to my job :)

Alfa 147GTA - if I could find one already pre-depriciated for me.

EVO7/8 - Again, work safe...shame about the insurance, but Ralliart are 2 miles away from me!

Other than that - NO Fords, NO Vauxhalls, and nothing of the French variety.

But we'll see....as Steve said, come summer I'll probably find I just cant find the will power to part with it....

Out of interest Simon, why are you selling?

Matty

the original reason was that SHMBO lost her job, and I couldn't justify having the capital tied up in the garage only for weekend use. Now, she's found another job and I've had a good payrise, so I'm after something abit quicker :D

Graeme ... :naughty:

But like we've said throughout this thread. There isn't another competitor to the elise. So there's no point in trying to find one cos there not there. I'm just get some thing different and then come back to the elise when i'm ready.

Matty

Personally I wouldn't rule out getting a cheap, reliable second car. Quite a few folks on here have and it means that you won't batter the elise by driving hundreds of tedious motorway miles all the time, and don't have to drive so carefully in the winter. You should be able to pick up something a few years old and cheap to run, and have a car which is special for the other times. Part of why I like my elise so much is that I get to drive it for fun, not just the daily grind, which would ruin it for me. Other cars are never going to be anything by comparison, unless you can afford silly money. I looked at a T350T as well, beautiful car, nice engine, but 600 mile servicing at big prices and even the dealer said it was about 85% as good in handling terms as an elise - why bother? Admittedly I have to have a car which is slightly more practical as well for when I'm carrying passengers or family etc, but also have a car allowance from work and they were somewhat less than amused when I bought an elise with it, but since I have another car for when I have to take folks with me, tough I reckon. Seems a hell of a shame to end up selling it before you've had the best of it IMHO.

By the way, have you lot sat in an RX8? I have and my head was pressed against the roof and I was struggling to see through the front windscreen - 20 mpg - errrr, no thanks!

Kristian :naughty:

EVO reviewed the new ITR a while back, comparing it to the original ITR. They say its still a fantastic car, but its "lost some of the magic" of the original - it got 4/5.

I went to look at one a while back - very impressed with the look, build and a nice interior. Not sure about the VTEC lag, I assumed this was something they all suffered with?

TBH, them being imports really puts me off - resale, servicing etc...

Mark, it WAS they way to go, and was my "plan" when I bought the Elise...because I originally wanted an Exige from the off...

Out of interest though, will you miss not being able to take the roof off when the temperatures hit +25 and your cooking in your cabin? :naughty: Or does the extra grip, grunt and looks more than make up for it?

I thought about keeping my old £1000 car and garaging the elise for weekends

But when im spending so much money on something - I want the use out of it

I don't particuarly get attached to cars so I don't mind keeping a sports car for summer then getting something more suitable for winter.

That seems to be the way to go for me from now on.

Archived