litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Would You Replace The Elise With?

MattyB

If you had to sell your Elise...what would you replace it with? And no, it can't be an Exige :)

Lets say, you had to replace it with something non-Lotus, but within the Elise price range (£12-20k). Because you needed to be more "sensible" - kids on the way, or something...

Any thoughts? :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boxter if there was one cheap enough?

But would prefer a 911, air cooled model

M3?

or spend the money getting my MK1 Gti sorted out!

Not many other cars I would spend much money on if I couldnt have the Liz! Whats the point- all other cars are for just getting from A-B! :D

Because you needed to be more "sensible" - kids on the way, or something...
Probably a used Honda S2000, or maybe a new MR2.

Sensible? :D

And thats the problem ladders - all cars look positively boring compared to the Elise...although I'm with you on the MK1 Golf!

With mine up for sale, I've been asking myself the same question (but without the kids part)

Given the budget you mention, Civic type R would fit your needs.

Me, I'm after a Noble M12 3R........Just got to find the other £40K :)

Just off to check the mortgage statement now :D

Not a great fan of the CTR...I'm a fan of rarity (I had a 106XSi, LupoGti and now Elise, all rare cars, or rare derivatives) and I see too many these days. Would have a new ITR though!

And yes Ladders, thinking about selling August time, end of summer :)

I was stupid to have bought it doing the job I do, its just too impractical and I've got work on my back about the lack of carrying space. So it can't really stay... :D

Just wondered what people would buy in replacement, if only to find something remotely as good as the Elise...

Matty...

get your tyres sorted out and your geo. wait for the spring and enjoy.

I really don't think you have had any enjoyment out of the car yet. U bought it in the rainy months and its still the rainy months.

You might as well be driving a lada riva in this kind of weather cos the elise really is pointless unless the roads are bone dry.

but when they are...

oh dear oh dear oh dear....... :D

threads like this wont appear.

Personally, I'm selling because I fancy a change.

The last 12 weeks of wet roads has definately had an impact on me wanting to sell. but at the end of the day i dont think there is a better value performance car on the road.

Just thinking back to some of the summer midlands runs :D ... we did over 150 miles.....and it costs me about 20 squid petrol

There really is no competition against this car.

S2000s are way way out. dull handling and come on come on performance

Mr2 s - yesterdays mx5 but no elise

Hot hatches - ctrs clios etc. good bhp but yawn.

boxsters tvrs - too expensive.

I think once your in the elise fold its a big struggle to get out !

Am thinnking the same myself - work are frowning down on me so much that their faces must hurt.

My thoughts were:

Mazda RX8 - very nice apparently good fun and reasonably practical (if you have friends who are dwarves) but i know someone who has one and he says 20mpg which rules it out for the number of miles i do and the depreciation would be criminal.

Civic type R, Clio Cup etc - nice but not the same as the elise and dont have the same "uniqueness"

Dull car like mundano and save like hell for the noble, ariel atom or the like - cant bring myself to do it.

My conclusion is (and I think we are all of the same opinion) is that there is simply no better car for the money out there (yes, simon, i'm saving for the noble too - see you on the runs in 2013!!! :D )

My decision: Keep the car for another summer because there is nothing like zooming round the countryside with the roof off, engine purring, and a nice woman next to you :) (i'm getting carried away now! :D ) By then i am hoping to find myself a garage, put the elise in it waiting for dry days and tracks and i will buy a peugeot 306 Gti 6 as an everyday car.

I'll still keep an eye on this thread to see if any really novel ideas come up though....! :eek:

Steve B)

Have to say Matty, semi sensible etc would be a Seat Leon Cupra R....

Great car, fast as you like, good handling etc - not an Elise at all, but i don't honestly think anything would compare to an Elise, so best to try and distance yourself from that.

Other options to save some cash, ITR, Clio Cup, 306 GTi-6, Ford Racing Puma (still tempted myself!), Focus ST170

IN fact, yeah sod the Leon, get an FRP... JonnyM will vouch for how good they are too!

It would have to be a Leon Cupra R for me, love them. I was thinking of getting a 306 Gti-6 but horror stories galore about reliability, expensive engine probs etc, put me off.

For me the Elise stays, and sits beside my 16valve Mk2 Golf Gti, a minter, which is my daily hack.

I am a rainy Elise owner too, only having had a couple of dry test drives last summer, so am eagerly awaiting the hot sticky summer roads!

My wife and I share an Octavia, good motorway diesel version, AC, 6 disc CD etc, very comfy for the money extremely good value, we also have my really rainy runabout Micra! cheap and cheap.

Then the liz is in the garage and comes out often as poss, sometimes everyday, even in the rain.

You need to keep your Elise and buy an embarrasing cheap tiny car to cram full of work stuff!

Its gotta be the ultimate juxtaposition to own a Skoda, Micra and Liz!!!

But owning the other two actually assit in Liz ownership, due to low maintenance and practicality

Archived