litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Insurance..again

Sol

Once again, its coming up to insurance renewal time, and Im amazed at the variation in quotes..Im currently with Tescos and they are quite keen on prices, until you mention mods, but its nothing that will break the bank too much if I renew there.

However, what happens with people who use 2 cars? Last year I insured twice £900(Lotus V99, 3yrsNCD, tracker, basic mods) + £550(Honda, R98, 0yrs NCD). Because I had used my NCD on the Lotus, I couldnt use it for the Honda, resulting in a comparatively large bill for the Honda. Is there a way of insuring both cars under the same policy to maximise on the NCD. Or am I missing the point?

What do others do? And Strees, how did you manage to get a quote with Frizzels that was nearly as competitive as Tesco? (See Previous Insurance Thread) I just spoke to them and they "quoted me crappy" at £1400 (over twice the Tesco quote)!

BTW, adding my girlfriend to the policy reduced my quote nearly £100 on Elephant. If they could just be a passenger in her Fiesta for 2 mins, I think it would be a very different story :clap:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swapped my Skoda to my wife, so she now has two policies with her NCD on both, so I have mine on the Liz.

It seems this options is available to girls, not boys, something to do with they have always been a second driver and not had their own policy, which she had, but didn't matter. Thats with Hastings, the Liz is with Tescos, cheapest for me by far.

However the official lotus insurers, promised me on the phone they would by MUCH cheaper for my second year, but not the first as they have been stung by 1st year Liz owners claims! Sorry the name has just popped out of my head, but I am sure you know it.

Also they will offer you your NCD on both your cars.

I gained 5 years no claims instantly with Tesco by saying I was a second driver on my husband's company car (I only had one years at the time). Saved me over £800 on my quote.

It's good to be a girl :)

Fiona

Frizzells came in at pretty much the same as tesco for me, not taking into account the fact that tesco wanted to add another £200 for the hurricane. Don't think I did anything different, just asked them to beat tesco and I would pay the deposit there and then, so they did.

I've got my Elise insured on a classics/limited mileage policy through Adrian Flux for about £750, and a Clio with Esure for £250.

The down side of the classic policy is it means I'm restricted to 5-6 K miles in the Elise, but that isn't going to be a problem for me anyway. The good news is that the classic policy doesn't care about no claims discount - so I'm free to use that to insure my other car.

Stu

Does it not matter that the car's quite new for a classic policy? That would be a bit of a bargain otherwise. Am definitely going to shop around when it comes to changing this time. Seems that quite a few insurers will allow you to build up two NCDs but won't transfer one to two cars unless you're either lucky or a girl. Bah!

Kristian :)

Interesting stuff..A sex change is tempting, but out of the question. Ive been looking at purely online quotes which rarely take in the detail of mods (on Elises anyway) which can add a fair deal as in Tescos, but I guess the real bargains are to be found the hard way - on the phone.

Amazed at the amount of blatant discrimination to do with sex/age - bloody statisticians!

Im on the case, will report back any findings...

FYI: Confused.com came up with not much of any use-quotes were high. Tried Esteem and Adrian Flux. Esteems quote was over 1k (Im 27, 4yrs NCD) and discussed the options of 2 cars quote, but that was already too much. Interestingly, the guy said that apparently around 94% of their claims are for drivers in their 1st year of ownership! They seem to be much better if you are over 30, so I guess Ill call him back in 3 years!

Adrian Fluxs quote was more competitive and along the Tesco/Elephant lines but I didnt have time to get the 2 car quote..The search continues..

• 2 weeks later...

And the conclusion is.....

Adrian Flux was the best quote (£706 with mods + legal cover, no track days, £400 xs, g/f on policy) followed by Tesco and Elephant.

No one I spoke to would match the NCD officially, but in truth the range in cover costs would make that of very little consequence(700-1600(!)).

Tesco was really anal about mods and bands which raised the premium, and the local broker couldnt get below £1100.

It really does pay to shop..

I mentioned everything I could - Seloc, Mloc, Student Discount, Nectar card etc. The cost apparently includes this. Just rang up to finalise and the quote is based on a limited 6000 miles. Thats what I did last year embarrasingly enough, but then it took me a while to brave it in wetter weather, so I figure Ill do more this year. The unlimited mileage figure was £745. While you can change it later from limited to unlimited, you incur a £15 admin fee on top of the extra cover costs which makes me think - sod it, go unlimited. Still the keenest quote(just).

• 1 year later...

Archived