litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Heater Twiddly Bit

Stevie

For a few months, my heater knob has been getting stiffer and didnt want to turn to full hot, stopping at 90%. Now atfer turning it to cold in an attempt to free it, it's stuck in the middle, (yet blowing purely cold air I think), it wont turn to the cold side at all, and if I turn it to hot, it doesnt affect the air temp and twangs immediately back to central.

Has anyone had this problem or understands the cabling enough to work out whether it's the dashboard end or the matrix end I need to to start dismantling first. Looking at the manual, both look hideous jobs! :(

Still, lucky it's nice and warm at the mo! ;)

Cheers for any help

Mr Freezy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr Freezy :(

Its quite a common fault,and there was a thread on here not so long ago.If you have the cable type then you can get to it from under the service panels,apply leberal amounts of WD,and it will loosen up.If you have the later A/C type then its a clam off job ;)

Have a search on here it was a very detailed report on how to fix it.

Hth

Regards

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
Mr Freezy ;)

Its quite a common fault,and there was a thread on here not so long ago.If you have the cable type then you can get to it from under the service panels,apply leberal amounts of WD,and it will loosen up.If you have the later A/C type then its a clam off job :(

Have a search on here it was a very detailed report on how to fix it.

Hth

Regards

Jon

Cheers Jon,

I suspect it's just a cable job. It hasn't got air con. I like the idea of removing the service panels and randomly spraying WD40 on things that look like they may be heater-related... That would be a nice easy answer.

I've spent an hour searching for a useful thread to no avail :(

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd love you forever... :gay:

Ta

Mr Wears Lots of Clothes while Driving

Just because the car doesn't have A/C doesn't mean you've not got the crappy electrically operated system.Mine hasn't got A/C and I've had the same problem.

Anyway,

Take off the service panels,you'll see the pipe the brings air into the car,carefully pull it off at the dashboard end,its only pushed on so no problem.

You'll be able to see the heater box in the middle of the car,and if your lucky you'll see the end of the cable(has an L shaped piece) this is what is sticking,get in there with your WD,it helps if someone is inside the car operating the hot/cold knob,you'll be able to see easier this way.

If all that fails then I would suggest its the crappy leccy job and thats a clam off.

Hope this helps....I know how it feels!!

Regards

Jon

Ps, theres loads of threads on SELOC about this...might be worth a search as my discription of things is not the best.

Ta chaps,

I got into the heater box end of the system and it's not that. The arm did benefit from a bit of WD40 but I now suspect the cable outer has come free at the dashoard end. :(

I've left it on full heat now, so that at least buys me time till summer before I have to get round to dismantling the whole dashboard! :)

Cheers

Steve

Archived