litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise Instrument Cluster malfunction - Speedometer & Tachometer erratic/all gauges blank

frank7

This was a perplexing problem that produced a lot of raised eyebrows. The Speedo and Tacho were flicking alternately from zero to near vertical and back every few seconds and all other lights were inoperative although indicators worked along with the security alarm/immobiliser warning light; everything else was blank. Aaargh!

But fret not... the solution was remarkably easy. Simply disconnect the negative battery connection and reconnect about a minute later and hey presto, the instruments were all working correctly again.

WARNING: Do not disconnect the battery immediately after turning off the engine! You need to give it 45 minutes or longer to settle after the ignition is switched off, otherwise you will get a warning light and perhaps other issues when you try to reconnect.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I had exactly this problem on my previous Elise.  It was a real head scratcher, and I even took a video of it happening!

Matt at Lotus Silverstone provided the solution though, and that, again, was exactly as you described - disconnect neg terminal, wait for a bit and then reconnect.  Worked a treat.

Interesting. The problem was solved then but the mystery remaining is… what caused it. The fix worked but I’d prefer to avoid it happening again just in case the procedure doesn’t work next time! 🤞

Hi a very interesting solution to a problem 

my issue is as follows 

after over winter storage on starting up everything was ok except no instruments on the binnacle working speedo / Rev counter /indicators blank

removed all the fuses one by one cleaned and checked all ok

issue disappeared, I thought haven’t used the car in the dark until last night everything ok but no binnacle/ dashboard lighting speedo etc indicator all lights exterior ok

removed the fuses again and checked all ok but still no binnacle lights

will try the negative terminal fix later

suppose it could be just blown binnacle/ dash light bulbs

any other ideas welcome folks

its a 2008 S2 Exige supercharged 

thanks

Archived