litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nitron C Spanner

martenr1975

Hi All,

I think I am going to have a play with my Nitron Clubsport dampers, to soften up the ride.

Does anyone in the Mansfield ish area have a Nitron C Spanner or equivalent that I could borrow?

Tia

Rich

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DeanB said:

You don't need a spanner to soften off the dampers Rich, the C spanner is just for the ride height?

Ah brill, thanks for that Dean 👍. Do I need a Nitron specific tool for damper adj or is it a std spanner? And is it a wheels off job or just jack to get access? 

There is a knurled adjustor near the bottom of the damper that you turn - no spanner or tool required.

You might be able to do it with the wheels on but probably not. 

Give the adjustors a clean first and a squirt of penetrating oil. They have a + and a - on them. Twist all the way up to full-hard and record the number of clicks. Then twist them back to where you want them, e.g if they were originally 12 clicks from full hard (ffh) try 15 clicks ffh.

Always start at full-hard and work back from there.

I tend to keep mine about the same clicks on the front axle as on the back.

Have a play with different settings. If you have the rear a fair bit stiffer than the front it will turn-in better in slow and medium corners but will feel light at the back on fast corners. Max Verstappen would love it but it scares the hell out of me!

Likewise, a stiffer front compared to rear will give a safe feeling car but one that understeers.

Softening them all right off will improve the ride but at the expense of body control.

Well that was much more straightforward than I expected. Not much more than an hour to do all 4 corners and I was taking my time to make sure I clicked in the correct direction. Original settings varied between 12ffh - 13ffh so I have opted for 17ffh. I'm looking forward to testing it out on the Car Crowd Run tomorrow. Thanks again Dean 👍

Good stuff.

You inspired me to have a fiddle with mine this afternoon too, I was changing the front brake pads so it seemed like a good idea.  We can compare notes tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

You can easily adjust the settings with the wheels on once you get used to laying in the right position, I do it in the pit lane in around 15-20 seconds for all 4 🙂

If you need to adjust the ride height/corner weights you still don't need a c spanner on the Nitrons, they supply a special tool but it's just basically a short piece of round bar, something like an 8mm parallel punch or shank of a drill bit will do it fine, this is a lot easier with the weight off the damper though.

Graham

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

You can easily adjust the settings with the wheels on once you get used to laying in the right position, I do it in the pit lane in around 15-20 seconds for all 4 🙂

If you need to adjust the ride height/corner weights you still don't need a c spanner on the Nitrons, they supply a special tool but it's just basically a short piece of round bar, something like an 8mm parallel punch or shank of a drill bit will do it fine, this is a lot easier with the weight off the damper though.

Graham

Thanks Graham. Top tips 👍

Archived