litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sponsored bike ride for Motor Neurone Disease and Dementia UK

dobbo

Brazen request for sponsorship ahead !!!

This isn’t for me, but my brother-in-law, Martin.  Some of you will have met him at mine and Sonya's wedding, or one of our BBQs.  Martin is doing an absolutely bonkers bike ride to raise funds for the two charities above.  Dementia (from which his dad died) and Motor Neurone Disease (from which my mum died) are both devastating diseases.  As he’s married to my sister, he was also affected by both of these diseases in quick succession - the two deaths were within 4months of each other.

Both MND and Dementia are largely untreatable, and with the current prospect of certain, undignified, death.  The nature of either disease is awful, both for the sufferer and their families and friends, and support network.  The amount of people and families who are impacted by these diseases is growing.  While cures remain on the horizon, care for those who already have these diseases is criminally under-funded.

So what bike ride is he doing ?

• Derby to Skegness is a common one for fund-raising, at 100miles (usually with a tail-wind).  Nah.
  • Land’s End to John o'Groats ?  Around 1,000 miles.  Again, nah.

He’s doing a ride called "All The Extremes".  This is a route that takes in the four extremes on mainland Britain - Dunnet Head in the north, Lowestoft Ness (East), Lizard Point (South) and Ardnamurchan Point (West).  This is over 2,200miles, with almost 135,000ft (yes, 135,000ft is correct – 35,000m) climbing.

• He's riding solo
  • He's riding with no support team (not even my sister - they have two teenage daughters at exam ages, so she’s at home supporting them)
  • He's paying for his own accommodation and food, sending ahead food and clothing parcels to the B&Bs and Travelodges he’s staying at
  • Daily, he's going to average over 110miles and almost 6,000ft of climbing

• He’s doing this for 20 consecutive days ! No injuries, no breakdowns, no saddle sores allowed !
  • He's clearly mad, or very brave and ambitious.  I tend to think it’s a mix of all three.

He's doing this between May 29th and June 17th.

So, whether you've been impacted by either disease...

...or know people that have

...or are a cyclist and are suitably impressed by the challenge

...or are just generally a good-egg and want to help

...please consider donating (and obviously Gift Aiding where you can).

He'd love people to support him - by sharing this cause on social media, or joining him for a bit of the ride, or post a picture of a loved one on your social media who has also been impacted by these terrible diseases, and share his donation link on your post.  Whatever you can do , please show you care by raising awareness, and if you can find some spare cash then please donate using the Just Giving link below.

Just Giving Link - All the Extremes.  He has set up two 'teams', one for each of these terrible diseases.  His target is £5,000, but I think we can help him smash this !

Facebook post (with a short video for those that remember him) - https://www.facebook.com/1076661751/videos/510127827272409/

Many, many thanks for anything you can do.

Chris

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ray, much appreciated.

I did a 70miler today (JCB-organised event for NSPCC) and it gives me a new appreciation of this challenge.  My ride today was less than half of each of his two hardest days.

For context, the Tour de France covers the same distance and climb, but in one day more plus two rest days.  And they ride in teams, with support crews and food stops provided.

If anyone wants more info on his routes, I can either post the daily routes here or send individual days to anyone that wants.

Any further donations obviously appreciated.

Having done my ride today, I'm considering joining him for his final day in Scotland, but this will depend on work and accommodation availability.  That day is a mere 101miles, and twice the overall climbing to what I did today. Hmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Martin's first day went well, with just one puncture.  For those interested in following his progress, there's a FB link here - https://www.facebook.com/martin.waters.963

He'll be updating it at least daily.  I think he nearly choked with emotion in the video at Dunnet Head, and he doesn't do emotion !!!

I'm getting more miles in ready to join him for 110miles from Doncaster to Kings Lynn next Friday, then again for the very last 50miles on 17th June.  Need to get more hill-climbing in for that day, so I've added five extra decent hills to my extended journey home each day.

If people are interested, I'll post his route up, each day.

Thanks to all who have donated so far !

Chris

Archived