litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Eletre - opinions

Eric

Call me fussy but that new Lotus is one ugly mother ****er!

I'd expected something super attractive and sophisticated, svelte even, with an emphasis on minimising visual mass.  But, alas, it's obviously intended to compete in the high-end SUV ugly league - No. 1 position currently being occupied by none other than the Lamborghini Urus.

But could the Eletre be well on the way to taking over that coveted top spot?  Erm, well, what do you think?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Eric said:

Call me fussy but that new Lotus is one ugly mother ****er!

I'd expected something super attractive and sophisticated, svelte even, with an emphasis on minimising visual mass.  But, alas, it's obviously intended to compete in the high-end SUV ugly league - No. 1 position currently being occupied by none other than the Lamborghini Urus.

But could the Eletre be well on the way to taking over that coveted top spot?  Erm, well, what do you think?

you've got your name down for one then :laugh:

I guess beauty is in the eye of beholder ! 
I would expect the marketing people in lotus and Geely HQ would sign off the vehicle as it’s going to appeal to segments of buyers around the world which I guess will not be your usual lotus owners in the present ?

me personally I liked it and like many car reviewers they really liked the interior features and quality . 
If these new vehicles in the next 5 years ensure lotus as brand to survive then we have to accept progress and maybe lotus re-enter motorsport like eF1 type ???

I'm unlikely to ever buy one (no money, no space), but looking at the reviews and how form follows functionality, I can appreciate it.

Top contender for ugliest car in that sector has to be BMW iX, which was mentioned in another review.

Sorry to buck the trend, but I think it’s pretty nice looking.  It’s not a sleek sports car, no.  It follows the examples that have paved the way for it, a sleek looking sports car on jacked up suspension.  The Cayenne was the first I guess, the coupe looking BMW’s like the X6 etc.  Then Alfa, Aston, Lamborghini etc,  the eye has kind of got used to the look, so it’s not such an assault on them any more.

Granted, I preached the the X6 was the ugliest car ever produced, and I thought the Cayenne (a pumped up 911) was absolutely ridiculous and uninventive, but now I’ve gotten used to the concept I guess.

It’s a Lotus that flies in the face of everything the company has every conceived of before, but that aside, if you’re in the market for an everyday electric car such as an iPace or EQC or Model X, why would you not be seduced by the Eletre?  I’d consider one for sure if it wasn’t for the 6 figure price tag.

It’s a Chinese Lotus, to me it looks just like every other SUV, I’m not in the market for one but hope it sells and makes the brand some money. The only thing in the pipeline I’m slightly interested in is Type 135, when I say interested I don’t mean as a potential purchase but as to how Lotus are going to make the battery technology light enough to make the car a “true” Lotus. 
I will undoubtedly be like all those steam railway enthusiasts, I like petrol engines, it’s just the way I am🙄

Lotus has to evolve or it will die , or become a couple of enthusiasts in a shed . The core values that we all love are part of the companies DNA and I doubt will be lost , but will be diluted across other product and sectors . Last months EVO had an article with the comments below.  -although they don’t appear to be attributed to new MD Matt Windle  and focuses on the new LAP (lotus advanced performance ) halo project area they are launching . I think it says it all as to where the focus is currently but if these projects and figures are a success it can only be good for new and exciting sports cars in the future , with which ever power train wins out in the VHS / BETAMAX challenge all car makers are developing now . 

13852B37-528F-4D55-A259-F634934BDC0F.jpeg

Yep, there's serious money to be made from the lucrative SUV market.  I read an astonishing snippet in this month's Top Gear mag in their own expansive article on the Eletre...

"...remember that Porsche is an SUV manufacturer these days (171,000 Cayennes and Mecans sold last year) with a tasty sideline in sports cars."

Could this also be the future of Lotus?  Probably, but as long as it continues that tasty sideline in sports cars, well, that's probably ok (maybe).

However, I still think the Eletre was a lost opportunity that failed to capitalise on the new possibilities that pure electric power opened up.

Archived