litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Elise transmission oil seal change

Badger02

Hi, I'm about to change a leaking offside  transmission oil seal for the 1st time on my 1999 elise.

I have the service manual, but was just wondering if anyone has already done this and has any advice/pointers they could please share with me.

Thanks, Badger

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody?  Which seal do you have?  There are several types available, surprisingly different.

Getting the driveshaft out safely is probably the trickiest bit.  Don't try to pull it out, lever it out with something like a blunt chisel.  The driveshaft nut can be tight, but that's just brute force and a long breaker.  Make sure you open up the tab first!  Have to dismantle the suspension a little to make room for it to come out.

You'll lose some oil, so maybe drain some out first.  Or replace the whole lot if it has never been done.  Lubricate the new seal before trying to push it in.  Details vary slightly depending on the design.

Might want to check you can get the filler plug undone before you do anything.  They can be incredibly stubborn.  You can refill through other holes, but the filler plug is the level you need to fill to so you really need it out.

The hub nut has a piece of its rim knocked into a slot in the end of the driveshaft.  Trying to undo the nut without knocking this tab back out will be very frustrating!

That seal should be good, if you got the one for the right shaft.  Lubricate it before you try to push it in and take care not to nick it.  Don't push it in too far, just flush.  There is a special tool you can use, or just take care.

I think i tapped mine in square using a large socket and nylon mallet. Also if the filler plug is stubborn you can access it through the wheel arch if you remove the liner and use a number of extension bars on a socket wrench.

9 hours ago, Martin R said:

I think i tapped mine in square using a large socket and nylon mallet. Also if the filler plug is stubborn you can access it through the wheel arch if you remove the liner and use a number of extension bars on a socket wrench.

You'll be very lucky to undo the plug without going in this way.  You can just about get a 17mm spanner on it from below, possibly even from above if you have very long arms, but you almost certainly won't be able to get enough torque on it.  You'll need about 12" of extensions, ideally one long extension so there is less slop.  So, so easy on a lift with a huge breaker bar, can be very frustrating on a jack unless you're a gorilla.  Get the car really set on axle stands, or even better on some blocks or paper stacks, otherwise the force you need can roll it off the jack.  Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :)

9 hours ago, MrWill said:

In antcipation of a complete success...I am a big advocate of using Redline MT90 to refil the gearbox.  It's the dogs danglies.

Good luck with the swap!

MrWill 

This might be a stupid question but can you notice any difference in the gearchange and/or gearbox noise, or is it just that it protects better?

Thanks

D

4 hours ago, DeanB said:

This might be a stupid question but can you notice any difference in the gearchange and/or gearbox noise, or is it just that it protects better?

Thanks

D

Hi Dean.

It made a discernable difference to the quality / consistency of the gear change.  I.  I'd read good things on SELOC and that proved to be case. had a recalcitrant 2nd gear and it greatly improved the ease of selecting second.   As you have same era s2 k series as me you may be Interested in this www.prodimex.co.uk 

I test fitted mine a month ago and it was revolutionary.  change was something comparable to that in a toyota elise.  Really really good. I'm waiting on the upgrade parts to complete the final fit and get the car back on the road.  You'll have to try it next time we're both on a run or at LitP. 

Will

3 hours ago, MrWill said:

Hi Dean.

It made a discernable difference to the quality / consistency of the gear change.  I.  I'd read good things on SELOC and that proved to be case. had a recalcitrant 2nd gear and it greatly improved the ease of selecting second.   As you have same era s2 k series as me you may be Interested in this www.prodimex.co.uk 

I test fitted mine a month ago and it was revolutionary.  change was something comparable to that in a toyota elise.  Really really good. I'm waiting on the upgrade parts to complete the final fit and get the car back on the road.  You'll have to try it next time we're both on a run or at LitP. 

Will

Wow! I've had a look at that shifter and it looks tremendous - right up my street. Have you got the whole thing? And have you got oem cables or EliseParts cables?  I'd love to try it. Not cheap though!

In the meantime I think I will get the oil.

Thanks for the advice  😊

48 minutes ago, DeanB said:

Wow! I've had a look at that shifter and it looks tremendous - right up my street. Have you got the whole thing? And have you got oem cables or EliseParts cables?  I'd love to try it. Not cheap though!

In the meantime I think I will get the oil.

Thanks for the advice  😊

Tempting isn't it !

I had upgraded my gear change with the usual with EP cables, poly Bush kit and short shifter kit.

The redline oil improved the change again. So as good as it gets...until...

I got the whole podimex kit including new bearing cable ends.

Podimex have addressed a few minor issues on the new v2 kit and are sending out the upgraded parts to v1 owners for free that's what I'm waiting for at the moment. 

I'll drop a pic in below of the test fit.

Oil for the pg1 gearbox is 2.1 to 2.4 litres depending on how empty it is. 

All the best 

Will

20220101_180156.jpg

Archived