litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Speedo stopped working on my S1 Elise

Badger02

Last Sunday my speedo was dead, then it sprang into life after a few miles, then for the rest of the journey went up and down like an Irishman's drinking arm on St Patrick's day.

The speed sensor is located on the nearside rear wheel hub, where it counts the revolutions of a geared spline mounted on the driveshaft.

Easy enough to get to, but unfortunately the head of the bolt that holds the sensor to the mounting bracket sheared of, so had to take the complete bracket of, and my local garage (very helpful they are) are going to weld a nut onto the top of the stud for me, and then I should be able to get the stud out.

To get the sensor of the bracket, I had to give the end of the black sensor a clout with my hammer as it was pretty much not moving (it's a push fit)

Wiring to sensor (at least the part I could easily get to in the wheel arch) all looked OK, and the geared spline also looked ok (thought it might be caked in mud but not so), so a new sensor is on the way from Eliseparts.

Will let you know if that fixes the problem.

20220315_201050.jpg

20220316_072341.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had exactly the same on my s1 badger.Replaced the sensor and all is fine .Give the ring a good wire brushing and make sure sensor is almost touching (like 1mm clearance)and you should be good to go.Hope to see you and your lovely s1 soon regards Rob 

1 hour ago, Robert lamb said:

I had exactly the same on my s1 badger.Replaced the sensor and all is fine .Give the ring a good wire brushing and make sure sensor is almost touching (like 1mm clearance)and you should be good to go.Hope to see you and your lovely s1 soon regards Rob 

thanks Rob, I'll make sure to give my ring a good brush !

• 4 weeks later...

FFS, changed the sensor a couple of weeks ago and cleaned up the toothed ring at same time. Test drive today. Needle didn't budge 1mm. I set it about 1mm clearance.

Wiring inside the wheel arch looks ok, but not checked the rest and not sure what route it goes yet.

Back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...

Hi. So this morning i positioned the sensor as close to the toothed ring as possible. Still nothing. Points to a wiring or stack problem. Has anyone ever had removed the instrument panel ? Is it an easy job ?

And so one broken wire hidden in the plastic sleeve. Now soldered back together and heat shrink wrapped. Span the wheel and speedo moved. Next to take it on a test drive to test fully but pretty confident it's fixed now 

20220605_153653.jpg

Archived