litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exige s350 engine temps in traffic???

sdd350s

Hi there, newbie here - I collected my 16' exige 350s before xmas and absolutely love the thing!  I notice that in heavy traffic today, my temp gauge was at 96c before I turned the interior fan on full and it dropped back down to normal (low 80's)

Is this normal or is 96c too high?  I've checked coolant levels and that seems fine....just don't want to be doing it any damage before it goes in early for its next service.

Thanks 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my Evora last Thursday was stuck on M6 for 1 and half hours standstill for much and crawling at 1-4 mph the gauge was showing one or two bar above the middle sorry there’s no actual temp 

the car was fine and as soon as I picked up speed the gauge would return to normal middle level only to go high after I hit another accident 20 mins later so repeated the above and car was normal once I picked up speed again 

Morning .

if stuck for long periods with the engine on eventually you will hit the magic 100 and the fan will /should kick in to cool things down . Not an issue , but as mentioned can be avoided by turning engine off if you have opportunity. Might be worth allowing to happen once or twice just to ensure fan is working , not so much of an issue on newer cars but on older ones fans can fail due to corroded connectors /cables as water often collects under Rad.
richbk  

Just be carefull turning the engine off while it is still hot ie near 100 or you could get a hot spot with no circulation. Better to let the fans kick in then turn off, more of a problem on the old K series cars.

16 hours ago, collieek said:

Just be carefull turning the engine off while it is still hot ie near 100 or you could get a hot spot with no circulation. Better to let the fans kick in then turn off, more of a problem on the old K series cars.

That’s correct.  Toyota engine is much stronger than the Rover k but just let it get on with managing its temp.  No worries unless it goes over 105 and switching off a very hot engine is not the best idea.

btw, lots of cars fake the temp reading.  Lots of users think a temp gauge that does not budge off the middle position shows a quality engine! It really only shows a faked indicator. When going hard up hill, slow in town etc, the temp will go up.  It can also fall on a really cold day on a down hill.

Archived