litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Cannot get 5th gear or reverse

Dezzo

Hello all.

Have got my S1 back on the road after a few years stored and thought all was well but today after 20 minutes or so I could not get 5th gear or reverse, no matter what. 1-4 slipped in ok (if a tad tight) the entire drive. They did not seem to worsen.

I am hoping this is the bushes on the gear linkage (that lack of use has made them go solid) but could it be worse?

* Changed the red hose years ago and the difference is it seems only the long reach gears are out of bounds.The red hose made all gears impossible!

All advice appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dezzo,

Pretty sure I had the same symptoms when my linkage bushes went this year. Definitely no reverse but I think mine was also first gear. Easy to check.

A new set of bushes, 2hrs later and I had the best gear change I can remember.

I got the bushes from someone on here. I’m sure the old threads had the info but if you can’t find them, let me know and I’ll have a look.

cheers Julian 

I would pop the under tray off and have a look as the linkage is really visible. One of mine had become so worn the linkage was disconnected. As soon as I clipped it back in place I had reverse again. It came off soon after so I brought new bushes.

it’s a straight forward job and I think they come with instructions.

Good luck 

Before you go to bushes just make sure the two retaining clips are still in place where the cables meet the gearbox casing.I had a similar problem and this was the reason ,missing clips available from Chris Foulds for 79p each plus p&p .

Thanks all - I took the rear undertray off and lo and behold, one of the rubber bushings on a gear cable was gone! The other has some decent slack.

So the cable was just hanging there. I now have the kit to go in and replace but yes, am checking it all over slowly and carefully. The clips are very rusty but still there. Will try to clean it all up. 

Question for you: Do I need to grease the nylatron bushes before putting them in the cable ends?

• 1 month later...

You can use some silicone grease if necessary just to help get them in as they can be (are supposed to be!) a tight fit.  Other than that they don't need lubrication, but packing in some silicone grease will help to stop the metal pivot from corroding and creating friction.

Spend some time on the adjustments after you fit the bushes.  The bellcrank pivot needs to be just so or it stops the self-centering action.  If you have the type with the locknut, leave the pivot free to turn and use the locknut to tighten it in that position.  If you have the flange nut then the adjustment is less critical, but make sure the pivots are free from rust and some grease won't hurt even though it has a nylon bush.  Have a look at the sleeve on the gearbox shaft to check that there is no play.

Adjust the tierod length so 1st/2nd is easy to get, and lock it off.  Check the boots are intact and the rod ends move freely, again even slight stiffness stops the gear stick centering.  Lastly, check that reverse/5th are easy to get and set the stop bolt at the bottom of the gear stick to that position.  And since you'll be in there, clean up the ball and its housing, the little crossgate spigot, the bellcrank, and the selector ball and socket.  Use the lowest friction grease you have, preferably a silicone grease, on the ball and the crossgate spigot since any friction will be very noticable especially when it is cold.  The bellcrank pivot is less cricital but you can grease that too.

Thanks all, was meaning to update.

As always, this took longer than I expected but it was mainly down to the cold and needing a rest! I used paving slabs to make ramps and so the car was not that high up.

The bushes were a very tight fit so I did indeed have to lubricate them and use a small hand vice to press them home. Again, being close to freezing might have made this harder than usual.

Then found all gears worked well, slightly better than before but nothing dramatic.

Agree  that maybe with it all there and in my face I could have played around a bit to get a better change but am pleased to have gears again and have been on a few nice drives since doing this.

Appreciate the help and support. This is a job well worth doing.

Archived