litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Leaking Hood on 2015 Lotus Elise 220

frank7

Has anyone suffered a leaking roof and if so, where is it coming from. The leak appeared last weekend at the wet Silverstone Classic. The rain was steady and persistent but not by any mean torrential when drips started falling from the area of the sun visor on the passenger side. A few moments later the same happened on the driver's side. Stuffing paper tissue up where the visor hinge sits soaked it up alright as a temporary measure. There is no sign of any rubber deterioration along the gutter when the hood was finally removed. The problem seems to be forward of the gutter itself, as if the water is seeping behind the wide trim that covers the top and sides of the screen. It's a mystery... has anyplace got the answer please?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback. I've checked the tension and it is spot on. The water ingression doesn't appear to be from the gutter, which is in good condition) but seems to be from under the screen trim, literally from above the hinge for the sun visor. It might be the bonding of the screen itself but it seems odd that both sides should fail in exactly the same place at the same time. The car wasn't travelling so it just appeared after standing in the constant rain, so it isn't running in with speed.

My leak came from dead centre, Motorway speeds plus moderate rain were enough just lift the roof enough to create a waterfall feature. 

The cable felt tight but I gave it a a couple of turns and it now compresses the seal which it wasn’t doing before. 

Archived